28 - A Whole New Disaster

Nala tries to keep calm as she sees the house come into view, her heart in her throat. She doesn't know what, but she knows something is wrong with her Jasper. Aro wouldn't lie about such a thing, despite what everyone says; plus Esme recieved a similar call from Carlisle, so both women are on edge to finally know.

"Its going to be okay." Esme tries to say calmly as they turn into the drive.

Nala doesn't respond, her stomach doing flips as the house comes into view. Esme parks up as Carlisle is already by her door, pulling her into an embrace as Jasper would've if he were here...

Nala takes a shaky breath, noticing Aro stood waiting by the porch. She walks over slowly. "What... What happened?" She finally says.

"May we take a walk?" He asks, motioning to the forest.

Carlisle looks hesitant. "Aro, let's tell them together."

"No, I'm fine. Lead the way." Nala says nodding. She leaves her bag on the porch and follows Aro slowly, wringing her hands together.

The Cullens all watch on as they walk away, into the trees. Nala tries to keep her heart from racing too much, but that's near impossible after the call a few days back.

Aro clasps his hands as he walks. "Your mate is... he is one of a kind. I've never seen another whom can battle like him. But that ultimately led to this."

"Aro, if he's dead-"

"I'm afraid it is much worse than that..." He sighs.

Nala's heart clenches. "What is worse than his death!?"

"Listen to me, please." Aro takes her hand. "Jasper came across... He found a crawler. Crawlers... they are beings much like us except their unique talents... she had the ability to take his immortality. She fed on it."

"But..." Nala's head hurts as she tries to process all of this. "Jasper always said there was no way of undoing what was done."

"There isn't. Not without dire consequences." Aro says. "She has a claim to him now... He has no memory of you, the children, his family."

Nala bursts into tears. "Why didn't you stop this!? Arent you supposed to be the ones people fear? Aren't you meant to be all powerful, with gifts that scare your kind!?"

"Nala, crawlers are rare. I've never even come across one. I thought she was a human, I didn't even consider."

Nala storms back towards the house. "Take your people and leave!" She bursts into the house and glares at the Cullens. "None of you protected him!?"

"We didn-"

"Oh bullshit!" She yells. "He was your brother!" She screams.

"We tried!" Rosalie yells. "None of us had even heard of a crawler until now. We didnt stand a chance!"

Nala shakes her head and storms to her car. "Nally, dont go-" She slams the door as Carlise begs. She speeds away, tears stinging in her eyes. A crawler? What even is that? And why did one choose her Jasper?

Nala tries to compose herself as she gets back to the house, politely smiling at the sitter and paying her, letting her drive off before she locks the gate and then the house, taking the girls into her room with her. She closes the curtains as Esther sleeps, Lilo looking up at her.

"Wheres daddy?" She asks as she looks down at her game again.

Nala kisses her head. "He's busy... he loves you so much though, okay?"

Lilo nods and smiles, going back to her game. She doesn't need to know, not now...

-

Nala gently closes the door and crosses her arms, staring at Carlisle stood behind the gate across the driveway. "Why won't you take my hints?"