(18)

In a random burst of creativity I wrote this. Not sure how, but yeah. So this one shot takes place right after Hiccup becomes chief. Major HTTYD 2 spoilers, if for some reason you have yet to find out what happened. Enjoy! (Unedited).

Hiccup kneels before Gothi, looking down at her. You watch as she traces the symbol of the chief on his forehead. Between the breaking of your heart at the sudden realization of your chief, Stoick's death and the happiness of the sight of Hiccup healthy and proud, you can't hold back the tears in your eyes. He stands and takes a deep breath. You can see the fear, the doubt in his eyes. The look that says, 'I can do this, I think. Dad's gone, but he should still be here.' Hiccup's eyes meet yours for the first time since he first left to stop Drago, and he gives a small nod. You smile at him encouragingly and step forward. He smiles back, and everyone erupts in cheers. "The chief has come home!" the voices say, as fireworks light up the sky. You run to Hiccup, unable to stand another moment away from him. You run into him hard, jumping up to wrap your arms around his neck and your feet lifting off the ground as Hiccup hugs your waist and spins you around.

"Milady," He says as you pull back, keeping your hands on his shoulders.

"My chief," You say, reaching up to kiss him. "I'm so proud of you. Your Dad is proud too, you know. He'll always be here."

"Thank you," He whispers. You can see the pain in his eyes. Losing his father won't be easy.

"Hiccup, you make your father proud," A woman says, stepping next to Hiccup. She touches his shoulder and you see her bright forest green eyes and you look over at Hiccup with confusion.

"Oh," He says, smiling. "___, this is my mother."

"Your mother?" You gasp. Hiccup nods and you shake your head. "Wow, I-"

Hiccup's mom smiles and touches your shoulder, keeping a hand on Hiccup's as well. "I am Valka. I assume you two are together, yes?" She asks her son.

He smiles and looks down at you. "Yeah," He says, leaning down to kiss you.

Valka looks proudly at her son before stepping back. Hiccup pulls you up in his arms again and kisses you roughly, ignoring the crowd of Vikings watching.

~

That night Hiccup sits in front of the fireplace at home, eyes focused on the flame. Normally you'd be at your own home but he didn't want you to leave. Valka ran off for a late night flight with her dragon, Cloudjumper, and left the two of you alone. You make tea silently, every now and then checking on Hiccup.

"Hic, would you like some tea?" You ask softly.

"Sure," He says. You bring him a cup and stand behind him, squeezing his shoulder. He places a hand on top of yours, searching for your strength. Toothless snores from beside the front door. "It wasn't his fault."

"What wasn't his fault?" You ask.

"Toothless," He sighs. "He didn't mean it. He didn't want to hurt him."

"Toothless did it?" You gasp.

"He was possessed. I know he wouldn't hurt anyone."

"Of course not, Hic. Toothless loves you. He loves Stoick, and Valka, everyone." You lean down to Hiccup and kiss his cheek. "You need to get some sleep. It's almost midnight."

"Yeah," he says, gulping down his tea before taking your hand and leading you to his room. He lays down and pulls you next to him. You lay you head on his chest, wrapping your arms around him.

"Do you think he's really here?" Hiccup asks softly.

"Yes," You say. "He's here. He can see you as the chief he always wanted you to be. I know, Hic. Something is telling me that he's here."

"It's hard," He says, his voice breaking with tears.

"I know," You say, blinking back tears of your own. "I'm here, Hic, I'm here."

He holds you closer and you reach up to kiss his cheek. "Don't leave me alone," He whispers.

"Never," You say back.