(19)

Two updates in one day? What! Crazy! I'm feeling pretty feely today. This one shot is long and sad and based on the song 'Can You See Me?' by Krista Siegfrids. Enjoy the feels. (':
(Unedited).

"Please don't leave me," Hiccup whispers in your ear on the last night of your life. You'd been sick for a few days now, and it was clear you couldn't heal from this. You knew that Gobber and Valka were waiting outside until your heart stopped beating. They were giving you and Hiccup just a little longer to be together. The two of you had been the best of friends for your whole life, and married for just five years.

"I'm sorry," You whisper, reaching up to touch Hiccup's cheek. "Take care of her, alright?" Your daughter, (c/n)[child's name], who is with Valka, sleeping in her arms. You'd said your goodbyes to her before she fell asleep.

"Of course, milady," He whispers and presses his lips to yours. "I love you."

"I love you too," You say, drawing your last shaky breath. It wasn't nice. You began coughing until finally, your lungs stopped with exhaustion. Your head sunk back in the pillows, and your eyes slowly closed. Hiccup took your left hand in both of his and leaned his forehead on it, crying into the blanket that covered your legs.

Minutes passed. He didn't want to leave. This couldn't be it, you couldn't be gone before your life had hardly started. But you were. He sat up, shaking his head at the ceiling. "Take care of her, Dad." He leans over to kiss your forehead, gives your hand another squeeze before walking out. He staggers his way outside, gripping the door for support. Valka and Gobber turn to Hiccup, frowning. "She's gone."

"Oh, Hiccup," Valka whispers, walking to her son and pulling him into a hug with one arm. Your daughter lays cradled in the other, oblivious to the suffering of her family.

"Let me have her, please," Hiccup whispers, reaching for (c/n). Valka places her in his arms and Hiccup holds her, your daughter who's not yet three, close to his chest. Valka touches Hiccup's shoulder before waving Gobber inside of the house to collect your body.

Hiccup steps out into the moonlight, leaning against Toothless for support.

~

--The Next Morning--

"Here, (c/n), touch the arrow to the fire," Hiccup says quietly to (c/n). She obeys and he takes the flaming arrow from him. He releases the arrow first so it'll hit your ship, then waits for the others to follow. (C/n) reaches up for Hiccup and he lifts her in his arms, letting the tears fall down his cheeks.

"It's okay, Daddy," She says. "She can still see us."

"Yeah," He whispers, smiling at his daughter that has the same (h/c) hair, and the same (curly/wavy/straight) locks. "You're right."

~

"Daddy," (c/n) says from Hiccup's lap as they watch vikings build a statue of you by the cliffs.

"Yes?" He asks.

"Do you miss Momma?"

"More than anything," He sighs.
I wonder where you are, hope it's not too far.

"I miss her too. Is that why you cry at night?"
When will we meet?

Hiccup looks down, shocked. "Yes. But it's not wrong if you cry. Just remember, crying doesn't mean that you're not brave. Your mom always said that you were going to be one of the bravest Dragon Riders ever, and she's right." He kisses her forehead.
The smile on your face, just like the old days, your beautiful heartbeat.

"Momma is with Grandpa Stoick?" She asks quietly.

"Yes," He kisses her forehead again. (C/n) smiles and leans back in her father's arms.
You gave me a good start.
You gave me your heart.
I'll never lose that part.

Hiccup glances up at the sky.
I think you hear me, I think you're right here.
That's why I have no fear.

I wish you could see that I'm okay.
Your words they took me far.
I wish you could see, I'm okay,
That I am moving on.

Can you see me?
Can you see me?

~
--Meanwhile--

You look over your family from Valhalla, smiling at them.
I wish you could see that I'm okay.
Your words they took me far.
I wish you could see, I'm okay.
That I am moving on.

Can you see me?
Can you see me?
~

Hiccup lays your daughter down in bed, sitting there long after she'd fallen asleep. Her soft snores echo through the silent house.
I wish I could see that you're okay,
Waiting there for me.
I wish I could see that you're okay,
Please just let me know.
I wish I could see that you're okay,
Smiling back at me.
I wish I could see that you're still here,
Watching over me.
Can you see me?
Can you see me?
Can you see me?

"Can you see me?" Hiccup whispers from Earth.

"Yes," You whisper, though he can't hear you from Valhalla.