Phoenix Queen

As soon as Adira was sure that Casimir was back in the palace and was already tended to, she turned on her heel and walked away.

Heise, who will go wherever she went, ran to catch up with her when they were stopped by a loud cry that called for the girl's name.

"Adira!"

The pair both turned around to see the distraught king, who hurriedly ran down the steps and practically almost flew to engulf both mother and child in his embrace.

"I'm sorry, dear child. This all happened because I said some misleading things. Please forgive this old man. Don't leave my son and grandson please."

The king, who sat at the highest seat in the entire empire, begged for a Duke's daughter's forgiveness. Not only that, he even begged in behalf of his son to not leave him.

"Your majesty!-"

"I'll give you anything you want! Anything! Just don't leave my son and cause him even more pain."

"Your majesty! Please calm down!"

Adira cried and patted the old man's back comfortingly. It seems as though Casimir's tendency to headily jump to conclusions came from his father.

And that brought a small smile to the girl's face.

After making sure that the king was already calm enough to listen to her words, she spoke,

"Your majesty, I'm sorry but, I've long changed my mind about leaving your son. From the moment I last spoke to you, I've been constantly thinking about how to change your mind.

Like making plans to conquer all neighboring kingdoms or giving myself to your son to hold him accountable for me and thus you won't be able to separate us.

I was ready to carry his child to tie him to me but your son didn't want to. A shame, really. In the end, he let me go and allowed Triton to whisk me away."

Adira confessed the thoughts she had as soon as she heard about the King's doubts on her that he mistakenly conveyed as him having second thoughts about tying Casimir to someone like her.

She understood though. If Iris really was the Maiden of Light then it would be a waste not to have her as Queen, right?

However, Adira didn't plan on backing down without a fight. In the end, she decided not to give up Casimir to Iris. In the end, she chose to be selfish-for the family that she loves.

She can be Queen for all Adira cared, however, that didn't mean she'll allow her to be Casimir's Queen.

Anastasius, who took Adira's words and tone differently, panicked. He really messed up this time! And he'll cause his own son's unhappiness.

"Please Adira! Just stay for tonight!"

"I'm sorry, your majesty, but I will not. I've been gone for far too long. My father and mother must be deeply worried about me right now. So I'll be going home now."

Adira curtseyed smoothly and deeply-finally regaining her noble elegance and etiquette despite looking as messy as she looked right then.

"Are you planning on going home like that?" Anastasius, desperate to get the girl to stay for a while and earn her trust and comfort again, pointed out the way she looked-bloody and messy.

Indeed. It would send her father or mother into an immediate cardiac arrest the moment they see her and it'll be bad.

Especially her overprotective brother who blows his fuse and runs berserk even at the slightest paper cut. He'll probably bury the whole mansion underground as soon as he sees her appearance.

The king, noticing her hesitation, immediately offered a warm bath and a fresh change of clothes without waiting for her words of approval or what. Of course, he also had the servants prepare some for his beloved grandchild.

"Come, Heise. Grandfather will help you." He coaxed the child softly and gestured for Heise to approach him.

However, the child refuses to leave his mother. Not that you could blame him. The last he let go of his mother's hands and she was out of his sight, she came back not remembering him and denied him.

The poor little boy was scared that if he lets go of her again, then something bad might happen again. And he cannot take such heartache anymore.

No more.

"Baby, Mommy will be quick, okay? Let grandpa take care of you and then Mommy promises that we'll go home together. Okay?" Adira, deciding to help the king, bent down to be of eye level to the child and cajoled him sweetly.

Heise, who was very against this idea of separating from her again, wanted to shake his head and scream "No!" but he didn't want his mother to hate him if he acted like that. So he, with such difficulty, nodded his head.

"That's my good boy. Mommy will always be here. I'll pick you up when you're done, okay?"

The woman said and left the child a sweet kiss on his forehead before the king was able to peel him away.

And to Heise's relief and happiness, she stuck to her word.

...

Triton, who managed to procure a horse and raced back to the capital, arrived after four tiresome and restless days and noticed the ruined houses being rebuilt slowly.

It made him curious as to what transpired and asked a passerby,

"What happened here?"

Triton, wearing a hood over his head and wearing commoner's clothes, wasn't recognized by the passerby and the latter answered,

"The capital was under siege a few days ago and the first prince drove them off. Although he almost lost, luckily the Phoenix Queen arrived soon and fought back the invaders."

"Phoenix Queen?"

"Yes! It's the Lady Sylveris! Ash Demoness didn't fit her so the people changed it. Anyway, she was so damn powerful that she single-handedly fought off half of the invaders by herself!"

Phoenix Queen? Queen? What the hell? She's not your Queen! She's not a Queen!!

Triton thought to himself and turned around. He clenched his fists so tight, feeling the anger boil inside him, and threw a fist to the wall. Unnecessarily causing damage.

"If you want to be a Queen that bad. Then I'll give it to you. I'll make you my Queen."