💙Chapter 1💙

Traveling is learning.
~African proverb

Tears kept rolling down my cheek until tears fell like a stream as I kept staring out the window of my dad's car. It felt like I was dreaming like everything was not real. I never imagined leaving Africa.

I really wanted to cry but I am not a cry baby so I decided to look out the window of my dad's car and let the cold air hit my eyes so that tears could flow down my cheek.

"Luna, you don't have to pretend to cry to show that you feel bad." Said my father who looked through the mirror of his car and noticed my fake tears.

"I am not pretending, I am really sad. I just got used to my school and I even made friends. I don't think I can enjoy this new place, dad." I said, pouting my lips to be more dramatic.

"Honey, your dad just got a new job, you should be happy for him, in fact, you should be happy to leave South Africa." My mom replied enthusiastically.

  "Dad don't  get me wrong, I am happy for you but I don't  think this will be good for me." I hated the fact that I was going to go to a new school.

  "This will be good for you! As in, think about it, you will be in a bigger and nicer house, a nicer school and you will make new friends. As far as I am concerned, I would be happy if I were you." He said with a grin on his face.

    Maybe my parents are right, I should give Europe a try.

I sat silent as I kept waiting for us to arrive at the airport and before you know it, we were at the airport. We arrived two hours before the scheduled hour of our departure.

    We immediately checked in for our flight, handed over our luggage to be kept in the aircraft hold, passed through the airport security to the departures hall and immediately found our boarding gate, and boarded the plane for departure to Germany, in particular to Munich.

   It felt very long because from South Africa to Germany, it is quite a long flight of about 14 hours. So in that time, I decided to make use of those boring hours and sleep as no one has ever slept before. After all, the aircraft was very comfortable and I  wasn't interested in seeing my social media because it would remind me of what I was missing.

"Luna wake up! "My mom said, shaking me gently.

"Ha! what?" I said still feeling a bit sleepy.

"We are here!" My mom sang.

"What, so soon?" I asked in shock because it felt like it was only a few minutes that I slept.

"Yeah honey, how was your sleep? "

"Amazing!"

"How could you sleep for so long, what were you doing last night?" My dad asked raising a brow at me.

"I was writing to all my friends about how I would miss them," I know for many it takes only seconds, but for me, it is more because I have to remind them of all the good times we had together.

"And that took you all night?" My dad asked with shock imprinted in his voice.

"Yeah I had a lot to say and besides you can't understand this teenage stuff you know."

"Whatever child, you missed the whole lovely experience and the view."

"Eh... it wouldn't interest me anyway."

"And sleep would?" My mom suddenly asked .

"Yeah, sleep is fun ...actually very fun!" I said, laughing.

"Whatever child, get ready to see Germany! "She said raising her hands dramatically. 

"Yay! "I answered sarcastically.

It seemed like my parents enjoyed this even more than I did. I was not excited at all, after all, it felt awkward moving into a country I was not used to, and even worse moving in into a new house. Unfortunately, my parents already selected a school for me.

I  entered my new bedroom and all I had to take was my suitcase, pretty much everything was already there. My bed was already there and my closet was filled with new clothes.

I know I hate new environments but seeing new clothes in my closet just wiped away all my negative emotions and made me feel more positive about the situation.

My parents made my bedroom exactly like the one in South Africa. A simple bed, a pink wall, and simple African patterned curtains. Just the way I like it. It's like they knew how uncomfortable it would be for me if they changed the contents of my room; so they literally made it the same.

I immediately threw myself on my bed. I felt so worried about the whole school situation.

It's like my mom could read my mind because I immediately heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I said kindly.

" Oh, hi honey, just wanted to talk to you, do you have a second or more?" My mom asked.

"No problem mom,  I wanted to talk to you about school. I am worried about fitting in, I feel like everything will go wrong; like I will not make any friends."

"Don't worry about that honey, I think you will be fine, you know what my advice is for you? "

"What?"

"Just say hi to whoever seems nice to you, never speak rudely and be as  free with everyone as you can be."

"Say hi to anyone? No offense mom but I am not the type for such, and remember this isn't South Africa it's  Germany. I don't think I can be comfortable with doing that."

"I understand, but trust me, just give it a try I am sure everything will be fine ." My mom said enthusiastically."  Anyways good night honey and I hope you will follow my advice."

"Good night mom."

Say hi to anyone? That seems hard but I guess I will give it a try.