Ch. 8 Can you keep Caroline company?

At the Swan Family's House, Caroline looked out the window with a worried expression. Caroline trusts Stefan to save her maternal cousin, but she is still afraid that something terrible is going to happen to him and Bella. Caroline blinks when she sees a bright light in the distance, and she smiles when she realizes that the colorful lights belong to Charlie's police cruiser. Caroline walks away from the window to the front door. Caroline opens the door as Charlie gets out of the car, and he turns to look at her. 

" Is Bella in there?" Charlie asked, sounding hopeful. 

Caroline sadly shakes her head. 

" No. My friend, Stefan went to look for her," Caroline tells Charlie. 

Charlie frowns. 

" Caroline. I'm glad your friend is helping us out, but he doesn't know these woods," Charlie tells Caroline. 

" Don't worry, Uncle Charlie. I trust Stefan," Caroline smiles at Charlie. 

Charlie worriedly sighs as he rubs the back of his head with his right hand. 

" If you say so," Charlie whispers. 

The sound of a car's honking grabbed Charlie and Caroline's attention. They turned their heads, seeing a black colored Truck driving up to the house. Charlie smiled while Caroline curiously stared at the vehicle. 

" Billy! I'm glad you made it!" Charlie shouts as he walks up to the truck. 

" Billy?" Caroline mouths out. 

Caroline blinks when she sees the passenger's door open, revealing a young man with long black hair that is tied in a ponytail, tanned skin, and dark brown eyes. Caroline curiously stared at the young man because she feels as though she knows him. 

The young man pulls out a wheelchair from inside the truck. He closed the door as he jogs in front of the vehicle to Billy and Charlie. He carefully helps Charlie put Billy in the wheelchair as he turns to look at Caroline. 

" Hey, Chief. Who is that?" The young man curiously asked Charlie. 

Charlie and Billy turned their heads to look at Caroline. Billy's eyes widened in surprise when he sees Caroline standing by the front door. Billy immediately recognizes the young woman since he has been friends with Elizabeth since they were kids. Billy turns his head away to look at his youngest and only son, Jacob Black. 

" Jacob. You don't remember her?" Billy asked Jacob. 

Jacob raised an eyebrow while staring at his father with a confused expression. 

" Jacob. That girl is Caroline," Billy tells Jacob. " She is Charlie's niece and Elizabeth's only daughter. You two use to play a lot whenever she came to La Push during the summer. You two would often make mud pies and then throw it at Bella and your sisters once you finished making them," Billy chuckles.

Jacob couldn't believe that he forgot about Caroline as well as their friendship. Jacob turns his head to look at Caroline, and he sees that she is staring at the forest with a worried expression. 

" Jacob. Can you keep Caroline company?" Charlie asked Jacob. " The rest of the guys are coming, and we are going to begin the search party," Charlie tells Jacob. 

" Okay," Jacob nods his head. 

Jacob walks away from the two men as he walks up to Caroline, who is hugging herself since it is cold outside. 

" Hey, Caro-line," Jacob akwardly greets Caroline because he is still embarrassed that he forgot about Caroline and their friendship. 

Caroline turns her head to look at Jacob. 

Seeing Jacob's awkward expression reminded her of a little boy that she once knew. He would always be shy around her whenever she came to La Push with her mother. Caroline's eyes widened when she realized that the shy little boy that she used to play with is now grown up. 

" Jake? Is that you?" Caroline softly asked Jacob. 

Jacob's dark brown eyes stared into Caroline's blue-green eyes. 

" Yeah. It's me," Jacob smiles at Caroline. 

" I can't believe it! You sure have grown since the last time I saw you," Caroline tells Jacob. " You used to be so small. Well, you are still small," Caroline teases Jacob since she is 5'8" while the young man standing in front of her is 5'5". 

Jacob rolled his eyes at Caroline, but he then looks at her with a worried expression. 

" You should get inside the house. It's cold outside," Jacob worriedly tells Caroline since he didn't want his childhood friend to get sick. 

" I'm okay, Jake. I want to be here once Bella is found," Caroline tells Jacob. 

" You'll see Bella once they bring her in the house," Jacob gently puts his hands on Caroline's shoulders. " Let me make you some hot chocolate," Jacob smiles at Caroline. " You're not allergic to chocolate, are you?" Jacob curiously asked Caroline. 

" No," Caroline shakes her head as she enters the house with Jacob. 

" Good!" Jacob continues to smile at Caroline. " Do you like marshmallows on top of your hot chocolate?" Jacob asked Caroline while walking away from her to the kitchen. 

Caroline turns her head back to look at Charlie, and she sees that he is talking to the search party, who have arrived to help him find Bella. Caroline closed the door as she turns her head to look at Jacob. 

" I love marshmallows," Caroline smiles at Jacob. 

" Sweet! Two hot chocolates are coming up," Jacob tells Caroline.

" Can you make two more for me, please? One for Bella and one for my friend Stefan?" Caroline politely asked Jacob. " My friend Stefan is in the woods trying to find Bella," Caroline tells Jacob.

" Of course. I'll make two more for Bella and your friend," Jacob tells Caroline as he begins to make hot chocolate for Caroline, Bella, Stefan and himself.