Chapter Five

Nerves were eating her alive. 

It was almost impossible for her to remember such a time where she had felt so uncertain of herself. Few memories pieced together in her mind that weren't darkened and broken in anguish. Though, even after the years, she remembered the curly chocolate hair and green eyes of her adoptive father as if they would be forever be clearly imprinted in her mind. 

He was a kind hearted man but he had also been a man of his own pain. She remembered being the light of his world and he was her joy. They were brought together on accident but it was a perfect accident that shaped her. She learned his Alpha ways from him, she could almost remember the training sessions she would spend by his side. Faint images of the pack she had called home first were candle lights flickering, she couldn't grasp them but they were there. 

One memory that never left her was when she was five, she was left to be schooled by one of the females and they didn't have paper for her to paint upon so she decided the floor was suitable. The female was furious and called her father but not even her father could remain angry with her. He always called her Dewdrop, she hadn't the slightly inclination as to why, but maybe she would remember someday. 

Often, she wished that she could relive those memories through dreams. Just once, so that she may remember her childhood. A time where she explored her skills in freedom and her pack was a supporting family. Those days were dangerously faded by the torment that followed and sometimes she just wanted to forget the darkness the tainted her past. She had moved on and no longer let the past define her but she feared the judgement of her mate. 

He knew nothing of her aside from the stories she was sure he had heard. She feared the rumors had already formed an impression of her in his mind. Maybe he would reject her or forever be scared of her. Though, Sekhet wanted to prove to their mate that they were different. Of course, she agreed they were different than they had once been, but it did nothing to ease the butterflies in her stomach as Fox shifted the jeep into park. 

Her eyes were glued to the pack house in front of them and she thought of the incident last night. She felt stupid for running, she was an Alpha for goodness sake, but the possibilities had spooked her and she acted out of instinct, though maybe she should have let Sekhet keep control. Her wolf seemed to know everything in this new aspect of their life and she envied how calm Sekhet was. 

She cast Fox a glance and his eyes spoke volumes. She took a deep breath and opened the door. She had already been convinced to come back, she couldn't run this time. It was something entirely unknown and she had never been one to hide away, but this was her first official meeting with her mate. Something she never expected. She felt like a little girl instead of an Alpha.

Fox stayed at her side, more or less to make sure she didn't break for it, and he led by a step in front of her. Her breath ceased as he knocked and then the door opened to reveal the Takilla Alpha. He was an elder man, graying brown hair, a gentle smile that wrinkled his face yet his body physique was of a man only forty. She marveled his strength despite his age. 

"Ah, Alpha Reeve, I was wondering if you would show at all." He stuck his hand out, "I'm Mick, its a pleasure to meet you in person, the stories do you no justice." 

She shook his hand, "Call me Reeve, formalities make it seem as though we aren't friends." 

"Of course, of course," Mick ushered them into a comfortable, old fashioned living room, "My patrol unit notified me of a disturbance last night and I wondered what you were up to when I saw you wander right through our community." 

She took a seat, Fox at her side, "I apologize for the unannounced visit, my wolf and I had been restless, we got a bit tied up in our thoughts last night."