Chapter Nine

"Cross hates everyone, why is he being so nice to you?" 

Mikica stood in front of Kian with crossed arms. Mikica's wolves were sprawled across the floor and yet Cross was laying with his head in Kian's lap. Kian offered a sheepish smile, "I don't know. He just likes me?" 

"He won't even let me do that." Mikica frowned. 

"That's true." She chuckled beside Kian. 

"He bites just about everybody." Fox added from the kitchen. 

"You tricked him." Mikica pointed an accusing finger. 

Kian frowned, "What makes you think that?" 

"I don't know!" Mikica threw her arms up, "But you tricked him!" 

"That makes no sense," She chuckled, "Are you jealous, Kiwi?" 

Mikica shot her a glare, "No." 

"Definitely are!" Remi sung from the armchair in the corner of the room, where he was reading a book with Lee by his side. A snowstorm raged beyond the glass of the house and they were spending the day indoors. 

"Maybe he's sick." Mikica stomped back to her chair. 

"You're awfully aggressive," Fox joined them in the living room, "Are you sure you aren't sick, Kiwi?" 

"I'm fine." Mikica snapped, eyes flashing. 

She blinked, staring at Mikica. For a moment, she thought she'd imagined it. Yet, a slight glow flickered around Mikica's irises. She sat up a little on the couch, confused. The next moment, Mikica blinked and the glow was gone. Her cousin's eyes were normal, she frowned. She knew what she had just seen but it shouldn't be possible. 

"You okay?" Kian asked. 

She nodded, leaning back, "Yeah, just a muscle spasm." 

"So, Reeve, we were scheduled to visit Aloysius today," Fox cleared his throat, "Cassius has only called about a million times. I think you should let him know the next possible date or he'll never stop ringing my ear off." 

"Yeah, I can do that." She answered, still watching Mikica. 

"If nobody minds, I'd like to know how you all met." Kian asked. 

Lee chuckled and punched Remi's shoulder. Mikica smiled and looked down at her wolves. She and Fox looked at each other. It was a long day of explaining everyone's life of a time before they united, but it wasn't like they had anything better to do. It was perfect family bonding time and since Kian was technically part of the family now, he deserved to know. 

Nothing was funnier than when Mikica realized that Kian was technically her brother-in-law. After they shared their life stories, they found fun in the board games that she kept in her personal library. She wanted to show Kian when they were alone and she had discovered that Kian had hidden talents. 

For one, she never knew he played violin. She never heard of a werewolf playing an instrument aside from singing. Kian seemed passionate about enjoying the small things in life. He revealed to everyone that he loved to garden and he was learning to paint. It seemed he was the much more feministic partner in their relationship. She never had an interest in such frivolous things but she wanted to see her mate enjoy his passions. 

They crafted stories and laughed to horribly placed jokes from Remi while they played a variety of board games. When they were bored of that, she flipped on the television. As much as she would have loved to take a wild run in the snowstorm, Sekhet wanted to remain by Kian's side. She felt like her wolf was far more attached already than she but who was she to argue with the good feeling she received from being near her mate.

When night had fallen, she excused herself from the two people who remained awake - Fox and Kian. She walked into the kitchen, grabbed a drink of water, and then headed for her bedroom. General and Amigo laid in the main foyer, staring at the door. She paused. 

"You guys want to go for a run?" She asked, their heads rose and they nodded, "Alright, don't get lost." She walked over and opened the front door, her Beta's rubbed against her legs on their way out and it wasn't two seconds before she couldn't see them anymore. It was snowing hard. 

She sighed and continued to her bedroom. She found the landline resting on her dresser and then leaped onto her bed. She dialed the Aloysius Pack house number and waited for someone to pick up. 

"Alpha Leroy speaking." 

She smiled, "Do you tell everyone that?" She teased. 

"Reeve, what a pleasure," Leroy chuckled, "I was beginning to think that Cassius would die of deprivation." 

"Oh?" She laughed, "Let me guess, his deprivation includes me in some way." 

"You got it. He was upset when you guys didn't show up. Everything okay?" 

"Of course, its just that something has come up," She wanted to tell him about her mate but she also wanted to see his reaction in person, "I'm going to need a couple more days to get it all straightened out." 

"Okay. Hopefully it isn't too serious." 

"It was very unexpected," She chose her words carefully, "But it isn't anything I can't handle. Besides, there is a massive snowstorm outside right now, I don't think we would have made it in the jeep." 

"You've got snow?" Leroy sounded surprised, "We still have bare ground here!" 

"No way! Usually the snow doesn't stay this far north, last year you guys had snow before I did." 

"Global warming is an issue, the humans need to stop polluting everything."  

"We talked about humans last time, it isn't a pleasant subject." She laughed. 

"You're right. You haven't had an issues with Hunters?" 

"Nope. One rogue yesterday but its been quiet." 

"My Enforcers had to take out a group of Hunters last night, it got a little bloody but everyone is okay. They were plotting to take out the young in one of my southern packs." 

"Did Elijah's son fare well?" 

"He's following in his father's footsteps. I see Elijah in him everyday." 

"Did you know that people call the war we fought the Aloysius War?" 

"Do they? That's different but I guess it suits the cause," There was a scuffle on his end of line and then he muttered, "Oh no." 

"Is it Cassius?" She asked. 

"He's giving me a headache." Leroy groaned and then she heard Cassius shouting in the background. "No, give me the phone back. Cassius!" Leroy's voice faded, more scuffling filled the phone, and then Cassius came on, "Reeve!" 

She pulled the phone away from her ear a little but smiled nonetheless, "Hi, Cassius." 

Whenever they were on the phone together, endless hours passed and that's exactly what happened. They talked the night away, like they always did. 

x   x    x    x    x    x

Three updates in a day? I'm doing good. 

I'm definitely going to be up all night for New Year's Eve, anyone else? 

I included some foreshadowing *wink wink*