Chapter 31

Cole took a deep breath after asking what else I wanted to know.

He stood up and walked over to the kitchen grabbing a mug and pouring himself some water from a random gallon that was sitting on the counter. He sat in a stool facing towards me.

I turned myself so that I had my back facing to the fire place and looked at Cole as he placed his hands in his lap and puffed his chest out.

He seemed angry. Rightfully so, the friends he thought he could trust had betrayed him and the girl who reminded him of his dead mother broke the news. Could he be that naive though? Did he really think Zac had his back?

"Do you want some?" He asked me as he took a sip from his mug.

I shook my head no.

"What did you plan to do with me?" I muffled up the courage to finally ask.

"I didn't want you. I didn't want anyone. Zac insisted that I get back on the bike though. You know...metaphorically speaking."

Cole stood up and finished his water.

"Turns out he just wanted to turn me into a cold blooded killer." He spat and with one forceful throw that mug shattered against the wall behind him.

I gasped out of fear. I've never seen Cole so angry.

I covered my mouth trying to tell myself to shut up.

Cole began pacing back and forth in a 3 foot radius.

"Who does he think he is?! He can't make me into his puppet! He can't control me!"

His words seemed a bit counterproductive considering all these boys do is take girl to control them. How poetic.

"If he wants me to kill someone...then fine! I'll kill him!" He yelled while looking away from me and at the broken mug pieces that lay on the ground.

Cole walked behind one of the doors in this tiny cabin and came out with a new coat on. He was leaving.

Cole was leaving. He was leaving me. What?!

"Where are you going?" I stood up dropping the blanket that kept me warm.

"I'll be back in the morning." He tried to walk past me.

I tripped over my own feet hardly able to catch up with him before he reached the front door.

"Stop!" I put my hand in front of him. He came within only a couple inches from my hand. I could feel the warmth his body gave off. He was that angry.

"Move." He spoke still not looking at me.

"You don't have to do this." I tried to be calm. I knew that without Cole helping me I had no chance at navigating these woods.

"Move." He tried to be meaner about it.

"Look at me." I told him. I dropped my hand and stood tall.

I took a big breath in. "I said..look at me." I stomped my foot so he knew I was serious.

His head dropped and his eyes met mine. I could see my reflection in them. They were glossy. Maybe he wasn't mad. Maybe he was sad.

"You don't have to do this." I brought my nice voice back.

"Yes I do." He pouted.

"Why?"

He couldn't answer me.

"I told you this is what he wanted. He wants you to be a killer." I tried to tell him how stupid he was.