CHAPTER TWO

MOVING A NEWLY cloned organism across the country was already a delicate task, add to it the fact that said clone is a classified project unknown to all but a few select people and should be transported completely under the radar, and the task becomes nearly impossible.

Relocating something of such importance is a task that requires all hands on deck, but with very few hands to begin with, well, things can get... Tense.

"You blithering idiot! I said: Step over the wires, not on them!" A very angry Dr. Vanderwall scrutinizes. "Do you not know how important that cylinder is? Of course you don't, who am I kidding? That knowledge is way above your pay grade."

The shocked soldier only nods his head, being careful to place his clunky combat boots between the multiple wires and tubes, not on them. The various hoses all connect to the mysterious metal cylindrically shaped box in the center of the cargo plane's belly. The doctor was right, though. Only himself, the other scientists, and the General knew what contents lay protected in the steel frame.

Subject Zero, they called him. Successor of The Tekula Project, the future of modern warfare. In ten years' time, thousands of these clones will join America's military. They will be the tanks of the twenty-first century.

The Subject will be moved to a secure location in Alaska in a special facility made specifically for the Subject's testing and training. He is scheduled to awaken for the first time three days from now, enough time to transport him and get him settled into his enclosure.

The whole cargo plane is buzzing with people running back and forth, performing their different tasks. The generators humm in the background, almost obscured by the noise of murmuring voices and loud commands. It is only a matter of time before everything is ready for liftoff.

There is only one flaw in this plan for Dr. Vanderwall: his daughter.

*
TWO DAYS EARLIER

"But you promised!" She says, her voice thick with emotion. How could he? "Dad, it's my senior year, my last year with the band, and you are just gonna make me leave? You said we would stay, at least until I graduated!"

"I'm sorry, but things at work are coming together faster than expected," Henry Vanderwall turns his back to his daughter, hardly keeping his excitement from leaking into his voice. He still can't believe how fast the Subject is growing.

"Sorry? That's all you have to say? No wonder mom left," she says, stopping Henry in his tracks.

"That's enough, Harmony. Now, for the last time, get packing!" he responds harshly, his hard glare resting on her dark eyes from across the kitchen island. Eyes just like her mother's. He quickly pushes that thought from his mind.

His daughter, obviously still angry, is quick to shout back. "For the last time," she says, mocking her father's words. "Its Quinn! Quit calling me Harmony, it's not my name! One would think you'd remember since I've been going by that name for the last five years."

Henry sighs heavily, pinching his nose between his thumb and forefinger. "As your father, I can call you whatever I want, Harmony Quinn Vanderwall. And that has been your name for nearly eighteen years."

Quinn scoffs. "What a father you are, making his daughter leave her entire life behind because of some experiment," she says, spinning around and stomping up the stairs to her room. Henry let's her go, knowing she will eventually get over it.