CHAPTER SIX

A/N: Bear with me on this one. It was pretty hard to write :(

HENRY SIGHS IN frustration. It has been three weeks and the Subject still isn't shifting. He should have naturally shifted within the first few days, but he never did. Ever since, they have been administering serums to force the shift into his wolf form, with no luck thus far.

"There could be a problem with his mental development," One of the other doctors, a young woman named Dr. Sarah Hyung, suggests.

"No. Everything was perfect," he insists, rising from his office chair and brushing past Dr. Hyung.

The doctor strides angrily down the corridor, his white coat billowing. Dr. Hyung struggles to keep up with him. He swings open the door to the main lab. Startled workers jump at his sudden entrance, their eyes watching him warily.

"Is the new serum finished?" He asks, glaring eyes inspecting the employees' faces.

"Is something wrong, sir?" One of then dares to ask.

"I said, is it finished?" He seethes. If the Subject isn't cooperating, he will make it cooperate. This serum must work. If it doesn't, the military could cut his funding. There have been too many failed attempts and he can't afford another one.

"Y-yes, sir; in refrigerator seventeen," one of the others, a young man, supplies.

"Ms. Hyung, get the serum. I will be waiting for you in Cell 1."

*

Cell 1 is an all white, rectangular-shaped pod with a five-feet by three-feet window on one wall. One of the short ends houses a metal door with a keypad lock, only accessible to those with a highest level security badge. The pod itself is on rollers that allow it to be transported to three different locations: a sanitary room, the training and testing center, and the lab.

The pod's contents consist of a small metal bed bolted to the wall, and a skinny young man with white hair and pale eyes. All of his surroundings are white: white walls, white sheets, white clothes.

Most would go mad with the monotony, but not him. Why? Because he has never known anything else.

Three weeks. Three weeks since his birth, or rather, his awakening. Of course, he doesn't know it's been three weeks.

The young man understands routine, but not exactly time itself.

He knows how long he has to wait every day between meals; he knows how many times a day he takes 'serum'. He also knows how long it takes before the serum starts to work.

He doesn't know how the medicine is supposed to work, but they say it is doing exactly what it is supposed to. All he knows, is it scares him. He doesn't like how it makes him feel--like he doesn't have control.

Claws grow out of his fingertips and his teeth grow long to where they pierce his lips and draw blood. And it burns. His skin burns, but he doesn't understand why. There are so many things he doesn't understand.

The good woman tries to help him. He can't really understand what she is telling him most of the time, but he is getting better. She is teaching him 'good' and 'bad'. She is good. She is the good woman. She calls herself Katie.

She says that good things are the things you want more of. He considered this for a while, wondering what things in his life are good. He decided meal time is good.