{24}

Philomath

(n.) lover of learning

"Good morning, Asp. How're you feeling?" Lilly asked me when I entered the kitchen, she was sitting by the kitchen island, looking at one of the helpers cooking breakfast. Their food in this house was always amazing, nothing less. 

Sitting down next to her, I sent a small smile in her direction, "I'm actually felling great, what about you?"

She clutched her head in pain, "I want to die."

I tried not to laugh at her misery, but failed miserably, "Well, you did go at it yesterday, probably more than any of us." Smell of bacon engulfed my senses, and I knew the chef was making eggs and bacon, my absolute favorite. 

"After breakfast I need a really long nap." Lilly groaned, leaning her head against the table. 

I couldn't bring myself to feel bad, she was seriously drunk last night. "And probably a hell of a lot of water as well, that always helps, trust me." A sudden thought hit me, "Shouldn't the alcohol be completely out of your body by now, you know, with you being a werewolf and that?"

She nodded, "Yeah, but for some reason my body is slow at everything, this included."

"That sounds weird." I pondered, "You've shifted before, right?"

"Of course I have, but I don't do it often, the pain is too much for me." 

My worry was sudden and intense for her, werewolves reacted the same way to everything, it wasn't normal for her wolf to be slower and shifting shouldn't be painful for her anymore. The alcohol should've left her body by now, a werewolf shouldn't be able to feel hungover. Not wanting to dwell on it too much, I shook my head to get rid of the worry lines on my forehead. She probably knew when to ask for help, I shouldn't be on edge.

A woodsy smell reached my scents, making small goosebumps appear on my skin. I knew Arrax was down here somewhere, and rightly so as he stepped into the kitchen, his white shirt clung to his muscular body, along with the black dress pants. He always dressed impressively handsome, and it didn't help me in my 'stay away from your mate' phase.

"Tina, remember to have faith in those little eggs, wouldn't want to cut them off from blossoming." His humored voice teased me as he guided the chef, Tina, "Would we, Aspen?"

"You're an ass, did you know that?" I laughed, making him shrug at me with an attractive smirk playing on his lips. 

"So I've been told, but only by you actually. What a coincidence." He smiled at me, grabbing his coat he opened the front door, "I have to take care of some work, safe me some breakfast, will you?"

I nodded at him with a small smile on my lips, he winked in my direction and I rolled my eyes. When he closed the door behind him, the ghost of a smile was still apparent on my lips. He knew how painfully attractive he was to me, and it was impossible to control my erratic heartbeat when he flirted like that. 

"That. Was. So. Cute. Goddess, my heart!" Lilly dramatically clutched her chest, while fanning herself. 

"I've never seen Alpha smile so much before." An unknown voice suddenly spoke, and my eyes found Tina's, she was smiling at me like a mother would at her daughter. "He hasn't had the easiest life, it's been a while since I've seen him so happy. Thank you, Luna."

"Please just call me Aspen." I told her which made her smile with a small nod of her head, "You've known Arrax for a long time then?"

The smile only grew by my question, as she quickly put her grey hair into a bun, "I've known him for his entire life, Arrax's father was the one who employed me at the time. Working for the previous Alpha and Luna was amazing, until that one day where everything changed. The elders wanted me to leave, but I refused, I knew Arrax would need someone here he could trust and confide in. Luckily for me, I'm one stubborn woman."

My adoration for her grew by every word she spoke, she chose to stay here for Arrax, making sure that he would be okay after his parents were killed. I didn't even understand the full events of what happened during that time in his life, but I'm sure he needed someone like Tina to be there for him. I wanted to know more about him, but it wouldn't be right of me to get the information through Tina, instead I settled on giving her an appreciative smile. She returned gladly and proceeded with her cooking. 

Lilly smiled at me, "He's been through a lot, but Tina is right, I haven't seen him as happy before either. Which is why Grant and I were so stubborn yesterday, Alpha didn't know what he was saying, he didn't know the consequences at least."

"I appreciate you guys trying then." I smiled at her, "I think I need some fresh air, I'll be back though." 

Leaving the kitchen, Lilly called my name from her spot. As I turned around she gave me a stern look, I knew what she was scared of. From her perspective I seemed edgy and dodgy, they just shared something extremely personal and then I felt the need to breathe. But it was just that, it was just me needing a break from all of this, me needing to feel the grass underneath my feet, I had to let her know. 

"I promised, right?" As I said this, her widened eyes relaxed at bit. It wasn't an option for me to leave, not right now at least. Arrax and I had gotten along for some time now, with only a few downs, it wouldn't be fair of me to escape. Even though I was gambling with my own life by staying.