{35}

Debonair

(adj.) confident; stylish; charming

"Will you tell me what's going on?" I asked in frustration, Grant's posture stiffened when he heard how annoyed I was by his silence, but he still didn't give me any answers. "Grant!"

We stepped into the elevator where he finally turned to me, his eyes were widened in fear and I briefly wondered why he would react like that to me, I was just a small werewolf in their eyes after all. "I promised Alpha that he would be the one telling you, stop pestering me, please." His explanation made me shut my mouth, but as soon as the doors opened I entered Arrax's office without giving it a second thought. 

Balto was the first one my eyes landed upon, he seemed afraid, too. Paranoia creeped into my veins, running through my body. Trying to hide the raging war inside of me, I looked directly into Arrax's gaze that burned into me, he showed me nothing. "Guys, tell me what's going on." Their silence was useless right now, I needed something to work with. 

Arrax was the one finally opening his mouth, "The territory south from ours just got attacked by a huge group of rogues, so huge that they slaughtered every last one of the pack's werewolves. Word got around that they're planning on attacking us next and that they have the Aurelia working for them." My heart pounded in my chest. "You've lived next to them for years, tell us what you know and help us be prepared for their attack. We have to keep the pack safe, especially the children and women. Every man will fight alongside us."

Balto and Grant were looking expectantly at me, but what was I supposed to tell them? Rogues were erratic and I couldn't possibly call them out on their shots before they did it. "I didn't mingle with rogues if that's what you're thinking, in the unclaimed it's everyone against everyone, I've never during my time out there heard of them plotting together." I started, "The Aurelia is not working with them though, she's always on her own so you don't have to worry about that. Focus on the important matters which are the werewolves and keeping everyone as safe as possible."

"How do you know that for sure though?" Balto asked and I tried to pull my hatred for him in the back of my mind, this was not about him and I, not now. 

"Are you really questioning me when I've fought against them for 7 years?" I asked making him shake his head, "Aurelias are smarter than that, they know not to put their snouts where they don't belong. But the group of rogues is what worries me a bit, the longer time they've spent out there the wackier they are, it's not a joke fighting against mental werewolves. They just don't care and that's what makes them different, they don't have a title to uphold, they're only looking for some entertainment for the night." 

Grant nodded his head along to my words, "Remember, Aspen, there's only one Aurelia, but I guess your reasoning makes sense, she's too strong for a pathetic group of lunatics." He started, "What you're saying though, is that fighting against rogues is more difficult than fighting against normal werewolves of another pack?"

My eyes widened in surprise that they didn't know this, "Of course it is, they have no morals whatsoever. We need to prepare every single man in the pack and even if some women feel like fighting, too, they should be allowed." Shooting these words at Arrax he shook his head immediately.

"No, we can't risk their safety, they have pups." He explained, a certain pain filled his voice and I knew he was thinking about his own parents. 

"Then let the ones without pups fight, only if they want to of course, but we really need every werewolf we can get on board, it isn't just an easy win, you know." His tired eyes gazed into mine, I already knew he was aware that I wanted to fight and this was me making sure that I could. He probably wouldn't allow me, but I had to be there and if possible heal the wounded ones. 

"This is absurd, Alpha! We can't allow women out there, we never have!" Balto boomed, his voice filling every corner of the room, clearly frustrated. "It's insanity, they don't have training or the basic strength to fight." 

"Some of us do, Balto. Don't assume a woman is less of a fighter just because of her gender." I spat at him, a small smirk falling onto my lips, "After all, who took who down in the woods?"

His angry eyes burned a hole through mine, but I couldn't help the humor of this situation, "You had the element of surprise." He used my own excuse against me. 

Smiling at him, "Sure I did."

Grant stepped between us, breaking my humorous spell and he focused on Arrax, "Aspen's righ-"

"What?!" Balto yelled at him, clearly surprised Grant took my side on this. Oh, go suck a dick, Balto.

"Shut up, Balto." He said annoyed, thank you, "They're unpredictable, Alpha, we need every raw power we can get, if women willingly want to join, then we should allow it. Hell, I've seen Aspen fight and she's better than some of my strongest men, we can't pass up on that." 

Arrax's brows were scrunched in concentration, I knew this was a hard decision for him, I just hoped he would agree with us. To be honest, I'd fight either way, but having his soul on board would be better than surprising him out there and distracting him. This was important to me and it would most definitely make a difference for every werewolf fighting. 

His eyes connected with mine and I tried to convey how beneficial it would be in the end, "Fine. Women who are willing to take it up will be allowed to fight with us, but I want them trained, Grant, that's your job during the days up to the attack. If a woman wants to challenge a rogue she needs to be fit for it and it's your call whether she is or not, got it?"

"Yes, Alpha." He bowed his head at him. 

My smile was as bright as ever because I knew how much of an ass kicking they could get from me, I wouldn't allow them to slaughter us. When my old pack of Aurelias were killed, I was a child and had no way of defending them, this time I was ready and had every reason to sacrifice everything for the pack's survival.