{30}

Draconian

(adj.) unusually severe; cruel

"What did I do?" Balto asked stupidly, his face scrunched into one of confusion. 

"She was raging and finally trusted me." I explained, my clipped tone very obvious. 

His eyes widened by my words, "Oh, I didn't know!" 

A branch broke behind me and I knew Arrax was approaching us, his scent enveloped me making my heart race a little faster, "Don't fucking lie to her, I linked you and told you to stay away."

Anger filled my veins as I turned my attention on a guilty Balto, his eyes seemed shocked that Arrax would tell on him like that. As my heart pounded, I took a threatening step towards him, my inner self wanting me to get control back, but I couldn't. "Tell me he's pissing with me, Balto." I hissed at him, the anger bubbling in my fingertips, wanting to strangle him so bad. 

His expression gave it away, he was warned before he stupidly decided to play a game with us. "I wanted to know if she had a reason to be mad at me." His explanation made a sarcastic laugh leave my lips, so pathetic. 

"You could've fucking asked her any other time than now, what the hell do you mean?" I growled at him, trying to regain control. I needed to run after Lilly before the rogues got to her. "If I didn't have an obligation to find her, you'd be on the floor crying like the weak little bitch you are. Don't test me." 

As he cocked an eyebrow at me in disbelief and humor, something inside of me snapped. Kicking the side of his leg, he fell to his knees in front of me with a grunt falling from his lips. My fist immediately connecting with his face, the force enough for his body to land roughly on the ground. "I said don't fucking test me."

Turning towards Arrax, who seemed shocked by my actions, I tried to seem as indifferent as possible. "You need to stay here to prepare for the rogue attack that I know will happen, I'll go after her." Trying to reason with him was hard, but luckily for me he agreed immediately. He had to keep his pack safe. 

Arrax grabbed my face and let his lips fall onto mine, only for a short second, but enough to start fireworks in my stomach and the fogginess in my mind to appear. My lips tingled as he pulled away, "Just stay safe and bring her back, I won't doubt how strong you are. And if the rogues come at you, run home."

I nodded at him, "Don't worry, I've lived out there for years. Worry about the pack and your son of a bitch Beta." Spitting these words, I looked down at Balto still clutching the side of his head, he hadn't even gone up from his position on the ground. Weak.

Without sharing another glance, I crossed territory as well, feeling disconnected the second I stepped a foot in the unclaimed woods. This is what I wanted for so long, not for this reason, I wanted to run away, but now with this situation at hand, it felt so incredibly wrong. Shaking my head I sprinted into the woods, picking up her smell almost immediately. It was harder to spot her scent in unclaimed woods because rogue smell infested every step I took. 

After what felt like an eternity I heard a scream to my right, not even thinking of it I ran in that direction, hoping to find Lilly before any danger did. Her whimpers were heard when I focused on listening, officially making it a race against time. Finally spotting her sitting on the ground in the middle of a crown of trees, I threw myself on the dirt in front of her, "Lilly, it's just me."

She finally looked up, her eyes as green as ever, relieving me since I didn't have to fight my only friend. Her eyes were rimmed red and a few sniffles left her, but I couldn't deal with that at the moment. Especially not when I saw her eyes widen at something behind me. 

"Aspen, watch out!" She suddenly screamed and threw herself away from me. 

My body was flung onto the dirt, momentarily confusing me on where exactly I was. Not wanting to show weakness I rose from the ground and met the wolf that had dared touch me. It had long black fur and intense brown eyes, a snarl on its lips showing me teeth, probably hoping I would stand down. It clearly didn't know shit about me. I could smell it was a man and a rogue one at that, always the worst.

"Didn't your momma ever teach you not to mess with an Aurelia?" I snarled back, deciding to stay in my human form, he couldn't overpower me either way and I wanted to snap a little before killing him. 

His brown eyes widened in fear by my words, and a heavy smirk fell onto my lips, "So you've heard of me? Amazing, let's skip the introductions then."

Throwing myself at him, he fell onto the ground on his back with a loud whimper. His teeth snapped at me, so I closed his mouth and rubbed his snout roughly in the branches, knowing just how sensitive a wolf's snout is. A growl erupted from his chest and I knew how angry he was, unluckily for him I was stronger than that. Grabbing his neck and stomach I flung him against a tree, making sure to put pressure against his throat. 

He snapped his teeth at me and bit down on my arm, the pain was barely detectable through my adrenaline, but I knew how much it would hurt later. Not giving it a second thought, I cracked his neck, the sound ringing in echos throughout the woods. Letting go of him, he fell down on the ground completely lifeless. 

I was quick to grab Lilly's hand and start tugging her in the direction of the Dark Moon Pack again, hoping I could keep her controlled this time. "I'm sorry you had to see that." I apologized, it wasn't like I had a choice, but I was so scared she would judge me based on my species. 

"You saved my life, Aspen. Don't be sorry, thank you." Her smile was genuine, I just hoped it wouldn't fade completely once I told her that she would be sleeping in the cells tonight.