{55}

Shlimazl 

(n.) someone who is always unlucky

"Baby, come here." Arrax pouted at me, testing my stubbornness, but no, he'd pull me into the bed again and we'd already been coped up in here for literal days. 

He ordered the helpers to bring us food and assured me that it was normal for an Alpha to enjoy his Luna before they accepted their new responsibilities, it probably was. My wolf was howling inside of me though, I wanted and needed to shift, if that meant leaving him for an hour, then so be it. 

"We need to face the others, Arrax." Shaking my head, my wet hair falling in front of my eyes, he came closer to me and tucked the stray hair behind my ear. His brown eyes melting mine as I tried to be strong, we seriously needed to get out of here. 

An image of him fucking me in doggy in the shower earlier flashed through my mind, a smirking Arrax met me when I came back to real life. I lightly pushed his body away, but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to his warm body, cupping my face with one hand. 

"Fine, we'll go down there, but tonight you're mine entirely." His lips came closer, meeting mine briefly, the small kiss leaving me completely breathless. Smiling at him, I ripped myself from his body, I knew we would end up in bed again if we stayed like that.

As I left the room, he followed me. Our outfits were ridiculously similar with black as the only theme, boots, jeans and a shirt. I rolled my eyes as the realization hit me, we were that annoying couple right now. 

Hearing the voice of my best friends, I hurried down the stairs, meeting them in the kitchen where they were perched by the island eating Tina's delicious breakfast. As they saw me enter, their eyes widened.  

Lilly smiled at me, "We thought you were dead, happy to see that you're very much alive actually."

I grabbed a piece of bacon from Grant's plate, he tried to slap my hand away, but my reflexes were too experienced. "I'm alive, what are you doing?" I simply asked them, smirking at him as I ate the bacon. 

"You're an ass," He started, "But we're not doing anything, we wanted to go for a run today, hopefully you'd both want to join us, right?"

Arrax came up behind me, smiling at them, "Yeah, she's been bugging me about it." He nodded his head towards me. 

"I have not."

His strong arm snaked around my waist, the smile turning into a smirk, "You actually have, baby. But don't worry, I'm living to make you happy."

My breath hitched by how honest he seemed as he said those words, Lilly and Grant laughed at my reaction, while I pulled myself together. I would never show them vulnerability, my personality lived off sarcasm and spitefulness, he shouldn't be off the hook just because he was my soulmate. 

"Then you have to work hard, buddy." I teased.

He cocked an eyebrow in humor, "Nah, I could just take you back upstairs and show y-"

"Fine!" I cut him off, not wanting him to tell them any details, none at all actually. 

Heat rose to my cheeks by his knowing smirk and I hated how he affected me like this, "You're stunning." He praised, the heat multiplying, a groan leaving my lips as I walked into the living room, away from them and their humored eyes. 

He knew which buttons to push, I both loved and hated it at the same time.

"Alpha, Luna, a female Aurelia crossed our borders, she's asking for Luna Aspen." An unknown voice entered my mind, knowing it was the guards by the border, my heart raced a million miles an hour. 

Before I had the chance to talk to Arrax about it, I was out the door and running in the direction I could sense him in. He was on the West end of the territory and I sped up when I heard Lilly calling for me from behind. 

It couldn't be, she shouldn't be here and she shouldn't be alive. She threw me out almost 8 years ago, it wasn't fair that she could simply walk in here and ask for me. But then again, I'd missed her, my heart and soul had been screaming for her in the loneliness of the night, she was the one person I focused on when things got too hard out there. She'd been there through everything and after meeting Arrax, I truly believed she wanted what was best for me. Had she ripped me from the chance of meeting my mate, she could never forgive herself and I probably couldn't either. 

Even though it caused me a lot of pain and agony, it also brought me Arrax and he was worth absolutely everything to me. He was my breath, my heart, my soul and I couldn't do this thing called life without him, not anymore. My mother had done me a favor, she had my best interest at heart, and I knew it must've been the hardest decision of her life. 

As I reached the guard, his back was turned to me, talking to someone in front of him. I couldn't see the person because of his broad frame, but my pounding heart distracted me from making myself known. 

If this was my mother...

"Aspen?" Arrax called out after me as he reached my side. 

Quickly looking towards the guard again, he'd turned around to face us and my eyes met hers. Just as blue as I remembered, it was like looking in a mirror, our eyes were so incredibly similar. Her usual brown hair had turned grey and her face had wrinkles of stress. It seemed like her frame had shrunk, she appeared smaller and the happy glint in her eyes was completely gone, instead replaced by a heavy pain.

By the realization, my breath hitched in my throat as tears welled up in my eyes, "Mom?"