Chapter 44

Rafs pov
I feel lost and numb..... I'm sitting here in the hospital waiting room with the others just staring at the door...waiting for someone to come in and tell me something ... anything! Alex is trying to feed Elijah his bottle over in the corner of the room thanks to Lewis grabbing bottles and a changing bag as we frantically left the house to follow the ambulance here, but eli won't feed for Alex. Eli had finally settled down from crying with Lewis in the suv on way over here but he's still restless.
"I think he needs his dad raf" Alex says as he stands in front of me holding eli "he needs you boss" Lewis says lowly as he wipes a tear from his eye sniffing, everyone's distraught over Mia.
Alex puts eli in my arms and hands me the bottle, my son looks up at me and smiles a big toothless smile at me as I offer him his bottle, tears start to roll down my cheeks as I smile back at him, he looks so much like Mia when he smiles. Eli takes the bottle happily and sucks away at it as he watches me. I break down in tears watching our son, knowing that he might not see his mom again, and I might of lost the woman I love , she could be dying or even dead in this hospital. Justin rests his hand on my shoulder as he wipes away a tear with his other hand. "Shes a fighter boss, you know that" Justin says quietly as he squeezes my shoulder reassuringly, "she's unstoppable raf, she's killed two people to protect you and Elijah, she would do anything for you both, she even saved me from getting shot earlier" Justin half smiles as the guys all smile to themselves, they all adore Mia this is hard for them too, im grateful they're here. "Two?" I sniff in confusion as Justin nods "first she killed that crazy bitch with a screwdriver that kidnapped you, then she stabbed Nikolai in the neck with a knife, that's after she bit him and stopped him shooting me when I came into your room, you need to Marry that woman" Justin smiles as he wipes a tear away, "as far as I'm concerned she's already my wife" I say quietly. "I'm glad you saved her boss, I think she's repaying the favour, she loves you and Eli more than anything" Ricky says lowly. Elijah starts getting sleepy as he guzzles his bottle, he looks like mia when he's sleepy too....I wind him then sit back and lay him against my chest as he goes to sleep, inhaling his scent as I stroke his back gently. They were right, my son did need me, he still needs me, He only settles for his daddy.
The door to the waiting room opens and a Middle Aged dr walks in, "are you mias next of kin?" He asks quietly, my heart sinks, please no...please don't say she's gone. "This is Rafael her.....husband, and her son Elijah" Justin says squeezing my shoulder, the dr nods at me and pulls a chair over to sit down facing me "is she...... mia is she" I choke out as hot tears start running down my face. "Mias been in surgery for the last few hours...she lost a lot of blood. She went into cardiac arrest 3 times in total" the dr says quietly in concern "the paramedics didn't think she would make it here after her first cardiac arrest, but she did. She's fighting" the dr says giving me a small smile which makes my pulse quicken, she's fighting.... "she's fighting she's not.." I ask the dr hopefully as he nods "she pulled through the surgery with the odds against her, but the next 48 hours will be critical, she's been put into an induced coma and she seems to be hanging in there" the dr smiles looking at Eli fast asleep on me "can We see her? Can we stay with her?" I ask the dr frantically, I need to see her. "You can see her but I'm not sure staying is a good idea with a baby" the dr says regretfully as he stands up and walks over to the door. I stand up with eli and the guys all follow us to see mia. She's alive! Come on baby keep fighting.
The dr leads up down several corridors then stops outside her room as looks at us all, "I'm afraid on the critical care ward it's family only for visiting" the dr says reluctantly as he looks at us all towering over him by the door, anxiously waiting to see mia "they're all her family, if it wasn't for them she wouldn't be here" I say confidently as the dr nods and opens her door.
My heart sinks when I see her... she's surrounded by machines, there are loads of tubes and wires coming off her and she looks deathly pale....I step into the dimly lit room where a machines beeping in time with her heart, and another machines breathing for her... "raf.....let me take eli for a few minutes" Lewis says quietly as I just stand there staring at the woman I love. Lewis carefully takes Elijah from me and I slowly make my way over to mia "let's give them a few minutes together guys" Justin says quietly as they all leave the room apart from me and the dr who's checking her vitals and charts.
"The surgery was successful at stopping the bleeding and removing the bullet, she was very lucky that there wasn't more damage done, otherwise she would of bled out a lot quicker than she was already, she lost so much blood her body shut down which is why she went into cardiac arrest several times" the dr explains as I take her pale hand in mine "the next 48 hours will be critical for her, I can't promise you she will pull through it but she's hanging in there so far, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but the chances of her surviving are 50/50, we're doing everything we can for her" the drs says solemnly as I sit down in the chair next to her kissing her hand as my tears fall freely.
The dr leaves the room so I'm on my own with her, I look at her laying there and my grief finally crushes me and I break down crying uncontrollably as I clutch her hand, "you need to fight baby...you need to pull through this please I'm begging you" I sob as I kiss each of her fingers "we need you!...Eli needs you!...I need you!... please baby.." I sob hysterically as I beg, something ive never done.
Justin comes back in quietly a while later holding eli who's now awake, I'm sat in the chair next to mia just watching her, "hey boss, sorry but Elijah won't settle with us at all" Justin says as he looks at mia sadly, "thanks Justin, for everything, all of you" I say as Justin nods at me "come to daddy" I say as Justin walks over to me with Eli, who smiles happily when he sees me making me smile.
Over the next 48 hours I stay by mias side, I keep Elijah with me while the guys sort the house out, they brought in everything eli needs and changes of clothes for me, his Travel cot, his toys, several time's a day Lewis brings in bottles, the guys come in regularly to check on us and see how mias doing.
On the fifth day I'm sat talking to mia and eli, I've been talking to her a lot and letting eli lay with her on the bed, so he can be with his mom.
The door opens and Mias dr, dr fox comes in with two other drs "hello Rafael and hello little Eli, you have been a very good baby haven't you" dr fox says as he smiles at Eli whos laying with Mia as he chews my finger, I think he's teething.
"Ok...so we're going to wake mia up today, her vitals are strong and have been stable for a few days" dr fox says confidently as I pick Elijah up and move so they can work on mia, I'm smiling like a mad man, I can't wait till she's awake.

Mias PoV
"Say wake up mommy" a voice echos, sounding really far away .....
What the hell happened... did I die? Was I dreaming? Am I asleep?... Why's is dark?.... "Elijah say I love you, say mommy I love you wake up" the voice says again as everything starts getting closer and clearer....
"Come on baby wake up" a familiar voice says as I feel someone holding my hand...raf?...
Wait Why can't I move?
I focus on someone touching my hand...it's not raf it's much smaller... "are you holding mommy's hand? Can Eli kiss mommy's hand like daddy does?...like this" rafs voice says as clear as day right next to me, I feel raf kiss my hand.. then eli.....licks my hand... I love you both so much...
I twitch my hand.......And start to move my fingers as eli wraps his hand around my thumb....yes I'm moving! "Mia?....come on baby wake up for me" Raf says as he grabs my hand "Justin take eli she's waking up" raf says frantically as I start opening my eyes... oh wow that's too bright!
Someone turns the bright light off and I try again.... I slowly blink my eyes open and look around, where the hell am I? my eyes land on raf... why's he crying?
"Hey baby" raf smiles brightly as he wipes his tears away, "hi" I croak out, wow my throats sore and dry "Alex get dr fox" raf smiles as he kisses my hand again and again.
Justin walks over with eli both of them smiling at me "eli" I croak smiling at my baby as Justin hands him to raf "Elijah look mommy's awake, look there she is" raf sniffles as he as he lays eli next to me, raf stands up and leans over me, he presses his lips to mine as his tear drops on my check "I thought I'd lost you" he whispers as he wipes his tear off my cheek "hello Mia, my names dr fox I've been your dr since you arrived, would you like some water?" a Middle Aged man in blue scrubs says warmly as he offers me a glass of water with a straw in, i gulp it down till the glass is empty as raf sits next to me holding eli. "Where am I?" I rasp out as the nurse with him re fills the glass and sets it down next to me. "Your in hospital Mia, you were brought in by ambulance what do you remember?" The dr asks as he shines a light in my eyes looking into them, I think back to the last thing I remember, "I was shot" I say barely above a whisper as everything comes flooding back to me at once.
"Yes you were shot Mia, we had to perform emergency surgery and several blood transfusions on you to stop the bleeding and remove the bullet, you were very lucky to survive" the dr says as he checks my charts and the machines, he checks my stitches and wound from the surgery and Eventually the dr is happy that I'm doing ok, I'm even allowed to eat In a few hours when I'm less groggy! I'm starving!
Rafs sat next to me grinning while Eli takes a nap in his travel cot, the guys have left but will be back later to see how I'm doing.
Raf shakes his head smiling as I eat the pizza and ice cream Lewis went and got me "what?" I smile as I finish my 5th slice of pizza and open the Ben and Jerry's Ice cream tub.
"Nothing baby, the Ice cream and pizza just reminded me of when you were pregnant with Elijah" he chuckles as I put a spoonful of cookie dough Ice cream in my mouth moaning, it's so good! "At least I'm eating them separately now and not eating pizza with ice cream on it anymore" I grin in amusement.
After a week I'm finally able to sit up properly in bed, several weeks after that I'm finally walking around and holding eli properly again. Rafs been amazing looking after both me and eli, he insisted on helping me shower, change clothes and he hasn't left my side, all the nurses and drs adore eli he's such a calm and happy baby, he's been no trouble at all.
"Well mia you have healed beautifully, I'm happy for you to go home but you must take it easy for a while ok?" Dr fox smiles as he checks me over "thank you dr fox" I smile warmly as raf stands at the bottom of my bed with Eli beaming with happiness.
Raf called the guys to help him pack everything up and to bring us home, raf helps me out the suv while Lewis gets eli out his car seat
Bark!
"Tank your ok!" I shout as he excitedly trots up to me and licks my hand "he was shut in Lewis's room the night of the break in" Justin explains as tank licks my hand frantically in happiness to see me, "hey boy I missed you too!" I coo at him giggling, "come on baby let's get you to bed" raf smiles as he helps me inside and up stairs to our room, it's as good as new and completely redecorated. Raf puts eli down for his nap and comes to keep me company in our room. "What would you say if I booked our wedding for next month?" Raf asks me as I watch a cooking show on our tv, "next month?" I giggle as I cuddle up with raf, "I want you to be my wife, I need you as my wife, I don't want to wait any longer, I'd marry you tomorrow if you said yes" raf chuckles as he kisses my forehead "and what if I said yes to tomorrow?" I ask as I grin up at him "are you being serious? Don't joke about this mia" raf says in disbelief "I'm not joking, I'll marry you whenever you want baby, I don't need a big wedding, just you eli and the guys to be there" I smile as raf grabs my face and kisses me passionately "I love you so much, I'm so happy your ok" he whispers against my lips as his thumb strokes my cheek "I love you too" I whisper as I press a soft kiss to his lips.
"I'll be back, I've got some wedding plans to get started on" raf smiles brightly as he gets off our bed.