forty-five

Luke.

I drove the first hour, switching with Michael the second hour.

We called the hospital we were working for this week and politely told them that we quit- and I then called my chief, telling him that we quit and that we would gladly pay for everything, which he didn't seem too mad about- he was understanding.

We didn't tell anyone we were coming home- we were just going to show up.

And thankfully, the ride wasn't long, but it was midnight by the time we got there.

Michael and I drug ourselves inside and through the doors without a word- all the night shift nurses glancing to us- as if confused as to why we were here.

As we got closer to the room that I knew she was in- I saw Sierra standing at the nurses station- in normal clothes, her hair in a tight ponytail, she looked tired, and I couldn't help but wonder why she didn't go home.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her- gaining her attention, making her eyes widen lightly.

"I though you guys weren't coming home?" She asked quickly.

"We quit" I laughed lightly- as if it wasn't a big deal at all.

"Why are you still here though, you work tomorrow" I spoke.

"Skylar asked me not to leave until you were here, so I wasn't going to leave her" she told me slowly, making my heart drop.

"She's awake?" I asked quickly.

"No she's been asleep for about three hours-" "you can go home, she'd never know that you left-" "I told her I'd stay, it's no big deal" she told me.

I just looked to her for a second, clearing my throat soon

"Well- Thank you, you didn't have to do that, but I really appreciate it" I spoke to her.

"Anything for her- she's a good kid, you raised her right" she spoke.

"Come on" I told her, nodding for her to come with us into her room.

"No, I don't want to interrupt your family time-" "if you're going home, I'll let you leave, but if you're going to stand right here and do paperwork, I'm going to make you come with me."  I smiled, seeing her smile.

"Okay, lead the way"

She followed Michael and I into her room- where she was in the bed with Calum, her lead laying on Calum's stomach.

Ashton was sleeping on the couch, other than that the room was dark and quiet, jack and Ben sleeping in a corner, leaning on each other.

I immediately lifted the gown she was in, wanting to look at the cut.

I saw Ashton had a bandage over it- and I knew if I took the bandage off, it would wake her, so I just covered her back up.

"Her vitals are great" michael whispered as the three of us sat down, nodding slowly.

Michael fell asleep shortly, Sierra and I stayed awake, talking to each other.

"She's so funny, like naturally and on medicine she's funny" she spoke to me.

"She's my happiness for sure" I exhaled with a smile.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but did the man that assaulted her end up in jail?" She asked.

"Yeah, he didn't get as much time as we would've liked, but he's in jail, thank god" I exhaled slowly.

"Her mom is too" I told her.

"You divorced her, right?" She asked me slowly- not wanting to push the boundaries of her questions, but I didn't mind talking about it.

"Yeah- I divorced her before everything went crazy, she was cheating on me and stealing money from me- she was going downhill and causing a lot of fights, so I ended it" I told her, seeing her nod.

"Neither of you deserve any of this" she mumbled, making me smile lightly.

"We're fine and we will be fine- just a few bumps in the road."

Her and I went quiet, her head leaned against the wall, her tiredness getting to her, but I looked to Sky.

A good twenty minutes of quietness passes, I was falling asleep myself- until I saw movement.

I watched Skylar let out the smallest stretch in Calum's arms, exhaling lightly.

I could see that she was blinking lightly, but she never looked in our direction.

"Sky" I whispered- seeing her suddenly jump awake- startled.

"It's me" I whispered, moving to her.

"What the fuck-" I had to shush her loud voice, laughing as I tried to make her not wake up the guys.

I ended up carrying her to my office so that she wouldn't wake up anyone with her sudden burst of excitement.

"How did you come home?!" She asked me excitedly, her eyes wide as she hugged me tightly.

"Michael and I quit the job we were doing." I told her, which didn't even phase her, she was just excited to see me, which made me more than happy.

"I missed you" she spoke happily.

"I missed you more" I told her, pushing her hair behind her ears.

"Give me some real clothes, please"

I laughed, but immediately searched for extra clothes in my office.

I found a pair of shorts that were hers and a shirt of my own.
I turned away from her, making sure she carefully changed, not wanting her to hurt herself.

"My back still hurts" she mumbled, the sound of movement stopping, telling me I could turn towards her again.

"You'll be sore for a little while" I told her quietly.

I kissed her head gently, planning to get her cooling rags.

"I'm proud of you- you were very brave-" "I cried like all day" she laughed lightly as I went to my desk, pulling out a cooling rag.

"But you did that surgery with no fighting or complaining, I'm so proud of you." I spoke, kissing her head.

I put the rag under her shirt, where she said her back was hurting.

"I'm glad you came home"