seventeen

" i try to make everyone happy, but what about me? it's not fair "

My brows furrowed. "Connor?" I said, confusion laced in my tone. "What are you doing here?" I asked, stepping aside so he could come in, he slowly entered my house and looked around.

"I..." he started, his eyes falling onto me. "I don't know," he said, making me even more confused than I already was. "I was with Hank, but he left, I didn't know where else to go."

I nodded, moving back over to the sofa, Connor followed and sat down without even thinking about the snow that was now all over my sofa. I placed a hand on his leg. "Are you alright?" I asked him. His eyes stared into mine for a moment, as if he was thinking of what to say, and he eventually nodded.

"Yes," he replied quickly, but I could tell he was lying. "Yes, I'm fine."

"Connor," I said, pushing him to tell me, giving him a pointed look that he couldn't say no to and he snapped.

"Hank pulled a gun out, he aimed it at my head —"

"What?" I said, the angry tones clear in my voice.

"He asked me if I was afraid to die," he said, my expression softened when I saw the war he was having in his mind. My head tilted to the side.

"Are you?"

He didn't answer right away, he just kept his eyes on the coffee table. His lips were trembling, his LED was flashing a bright yellow colour, yet his face remained calm. I didn't want to push him too much, so I just waited for him to answer. It took a minute, but he eventually looked to me with one expression clear in his eyes. Fear. He might not have wanted to admit it, but he was afraid.

"Would it be wrong..." he spoke slowly. "If I said I am?"

I instantly shook my head. "No, it isn't wrong," I answered, making a gentle smile appear on his lips. "Everyone's afraid of something, Connor," I explained to him. "It's completely normal."

November 7th, 2038

We were stood in the elevator of the building for the news channel — Channel 16 — where we were assigned the case of the android who broadcast themselves all over TV to read out a list of demands for equal rights for androids. They seemed to be peaceful, apparently, I wouldn't know having missed it.

I don't know how I missed it, it was all over the news, but I guess I was busy or something.

I was snapped back to reality when the familiar chime of Connor's coin flipping was interrupted by Hank. "You're starting to piss me off with that coin, Connor," he hissed, snatching the coin off of him, Connor didn't seem phased by Hank at all as we reached the top floor.