Four

"How do you know where I live?"

Paul Lahote stands outside my front door. It's been almost 2 weeks since we've last seen each other. We've messaged back and forth, but haven't seen each other in person since that day at the beach. "Well?" I quirk a brow at him.

The boy rocks on his heels, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jean shorts. He wears a sleeveless top today, his tattoo visible to all. It's incredible. "Harry Clearwater." Of course. Harry and my dad became fast friends twenty two years ago when he first came into the store. The two men had bonded over football and their mutual friend Charlie Swan. "Are you free? There's somewhere I want to take you."

Glancing around to make sure my parents - mainly dad - aren't in sight, I smile and follow him out the door, but not before sending a quick text to mom. She sends a winky face in return and I close out of the messages before Paul can catch a glimpse.

"What's up with the bonfire?"

As a teen, a bonfire means a killer party. Booze everywhere, someone playing the guitar, drunk teens waddling around the fire dangerously. It means a time you'll most likely regret in the morning.

This does not look like that. The majority of the people are my parents age. Harry and Sue Clearwater, Billy Black, and another gentleman I don't know. The only people close to my age are Sam Uley and Emily Young. Even though there's not many people, there is a lot of food laid out on two long tables.

"The elders gather once a month." Paul replies, guiding me closer to the group. "Billy always tells this story we all grew up hearing. It can get a little annoying hearing it all the time, but it's tradition."

A story they all heard growing up? Elders gathering together? "Did you seriously bring me to a sacred council meeting?" I hiss quietly. "I'm not supposed to be here."

Paul fails to contain his laughter. "Caroline, it's fine. Harry invited you." Why would Harry invite me to a council meeting?

My question doesn't get answered. Billy calls everyone over and I allow Paul to pull me to some seats. We take a spot near Emily and Sam, the older girl smiling warmly at me.

"Welcome everyone." Billy greets. "And welcome, Caroline Rouse." The others turn to glance at me. "This will be your first time hearing our stories, correct?" I nod. Billy smiles, his eyes twinkling. He jumps right into the story.

It's beautiful. A story of a tribe with magic in their blood that allowed them to shape shift into powerful wolves. With this power the tribe was able to protect their people and their land. One day they came across a being that was strong like stone and cold as ice. The warriors were able to overcome him, but only fire could destroy him. But that man wasn't alone. His lover attacked the village, killing every shapeshifter on the village. The elder chief, Taha Aki, was the last warrior alive. He fought the woman, but his strength was diminishing. His third wife knew he could not beat the woman alone. So, she bravely sacrificed herself. While the cold woman was distracted, Taha Aki was able to beat her. His wife had saved the tribe.

After Billy finishes, he beckons Sam and Paul over. The trio disappear into the house with Harry and the other man. Just when I'm about to feel awkward about being left alone, Emily and Sue come up to me.

"So, what'd you think?" Emily questions, handing me a cup of tea.

I take a sip of the drink, smiling in thanks. "It was interesting." I admit. "The whole supernatural effect was pretty cool. Werewolves and vampires, makes a good story." The two women share a glance. Thinking I have somehow offended them, I ramble on. "Taha Aki's wife was very brave. I don't know how it's possible to love someone so much you'd sacrifice yourself to save them."

Sue's lips turn up as she turns to stare at her husband through the living room window. "It's not easy." She confesses to me and Emily. "When I first met Harry, I never thought I'd be where I am now. He wasn't the man I had dreamed of marrying. There was someone else in my life when we met. I was smitten with him, but he never felt the same for me. I only truly realized when he left one night with a girl from Seattle. Harry was there for me. He was a true gentleman, waited until I was ready to move on to ask me on a date. He's been there for me since." She turns back to me. "I realized I loved him enough to die for him not long after. I will do anything to keep him safe."

"Wow." I manage to breathe out. "Someday I hope to have a love like that."

Emily says something that nearly causes me to choke on my tea. "Do you think you could? Maybe with a certain new boy in your life?"

"Paul?" I ask after catching my breath. Sure I find Paul attractive and all that, but we barely know each other. "We just met like 2 weeks ago."

"So?" Emily retorts. "There's not a specific number of days it takes to develop feelings."

She rests one of her hands on Emily's shoulder. "Don't frighten the girl, Em. Things will work how they want to work." There's a hidden meaning behind her statement. One that Emily catches, leaving me out of the loop. But I don't push Sue to elaborate.

Paul soon returns with Sam, Billy, and Harry. The other man seems to have left. I greet the three men before turning to Paul, informing him of my curfew. We leave, talking quietly on the drive to my home.

Being the gentleman he is, Paul walks me to the front door. "Thanks for tonight." I tell him. "It was really good seeing Sue and Emily again." Even though they conversation with them was really weird. We stand there in silence for a moment. "Well, I'll uh, I'll see you later."

As my hand grazes the doorknob, Paul's hand latches onto my wrist. I turn to face him, opening my mouth to ask him what's wrong. But I don't get the chance.

Because his lips crash onto mine.

Kay so idk Sue and Harry's story and how they met and all but we're gonna say that's it. If it actually says somewhere how they met let me know and I'll change it.

Also I know the kiss is hella rushed but it'll be explained later