Twenty Nine

"Why are we doing this in the middle of a thunderstorm again?" Paul questions as we trek through the woods

After binging almost the entire season of Criminal Minds last night, I told Paul about Julian and Cyhiraeth. We spent the majority of the night coming up with possibilities on how to contact the ancient banshee.

"Julian spoke with a shifter who said her soulmate died during a thunderstorm." I answer, carefully stepping over a fallen tree. "She might have an emotional connection to the weather, it will be easiest this way." Once I deem we're far enough into the woods, I stop and grab Paul's hands in my own. "Sorry to drag you into this. But you're a shifter, you share blood with Cyhiraeth's soulmate. Having you here will help me reach her."

Paul shakes his head dismissively. "I don't mind. Do whatever you need to do."

I close my eyes, envisioning the spirit world in my mind. Julian told me it was like the mortal one, but the colors were different, sorta faded and dull. And the air was eery calm, like how you feel when you're watching a horror movie and the music gets all intense right before something tragic happens.

That's how it feels now. A chill running down my spine. Goosebumps cover my arms. The hair on the back of my neck stands up.

"I didn't think you'd be able to do it. I'm impressed."

My eyes open at the voice. A beautiful woman with curly pitch black hair swaying pass her hips smiles down at me. Her skin is a pale blue, similar to how Julian looks when he appears to me.

"Cyhiraeth?"

Her laugh reminds me of a soft bell used in Christmas carols. "Pleased to finally meet you, Caroline Rouse." Her eyes move to Paul, who's eyes remain closed. "Paul Lahote. I had been waiting for you two to meet. Your match was my favorite one to make." Her eyes glaze over for a few seconds before she shakes her head. "I know why you're here, Caroline. You want to bring back your friend Julian."

"Is it possible?"

"Yes. But it requires a sacrifice."

My head begins to ache as I try to stay in the spirit world. "What kind of sacrifice?"

Her hands reach out to stroke Paul's cheek. There's a hint of sorrow in her pale green eyes as she stares at him. "To bring a soul back disturbs the balance of life and death. If you bring someone back you must replace their soul with another."

I gulp as I take in her words. "If I want to bring Julian back I have to kill someone?" Cyhiraeth nods.

She opens her mouth but stills. Her eyes widen. "There's a vampire clan in the area. One of them has created something, something I've only seen once before."

"The Cullens?" Created what?

"Yes. A child. This child will bring an army to your town. This army will win, and many vampires and shifters alike will lose their lives. You must stop this child from being born. This is the only way to protect the tribe." She places her hands on my shoulders. "Go, Caroline! You must go now!" She shoves me backwards.

The soul world and Cyhiraeth disappear the second my back hits the ground. I hear Paul gasp and kneel next to me. "Did you see her? What did she say?"

This army will win, and many vampires and shifters alike will lose their lives. You must stop this child from being born. This is the only way to protect the tribe.

"We need to get to Sam."

~~~~~~~~

We meet the pack at a vacant lot a few miles from the beach. By the time we arrive, they're all there waiting for us.

Except for Jacob.

Paul shifts to his human form and walks up to Sam, quickly informing him everything Cyhiraeth told me. "Is this true, Caroline?"

"Yes."

Just as I say the word, another wolf joins us. Jacob. I watch as his conversation with Sam goes from calm to tense, both wolves growling and snarling at one another. Sam narrows his eyes, expecting the teenager to back down. But Jacob doesn't. He towers over Sam, snapping at him before dashing into the woods.

Ah this is short and really trashy, so sorry.

I was back and forth on which side I wanted Caroline to take in the whole Renesmee situation but I've never written from the side the pack takes so this should be fun.

Next chapter will be better....hopefully