Twenty Two

The twin's New Year's Eve party was wild and loud

The twin's New Year's Eve party was wild and loud. It was so packed you couldn't not hit someone while dancing. This party is a totally different thing. It's still incredibly noisy - Nova can't hear me unless I yell - but there's this sort of sophistication to it. The house is extravagant, looks more like a palace than a home. That was the first thing Dani could say when we arrived. That and holy shit, I can't believe I'm actually in this mansion.

It seems like everyone from school is here. Classmates from all grade levels stand in the house. Some by the drinks and food tables - which have been perfectly placed along a side wall - while the rest dance their hearts out in the furniture-vacant living room.

My First Kiss by 3OH!3 blasts through the speakers. Nova cheers and grabs my hands so we can dance. Our hips sway in sync and I throw my head back, relishing in the moment. The lights, the vibrations pounding into my shoes, it's all so hypnotic. I could get lost in this feeling and never come back.

I'm not sure how long it's been when Nova suddenly gasps. Her hands grip mine tightly, and I have to pry her fingers off of mine. "Noves, what the-" The look in her eyes stops me. Her mouth is hanging open, her eyes glazed over as if on drugs or drunk. Following her gaze, I realize why she's acting this way.

Standing by the door is Paul, Embry, Quil, and Jacob. And Embry has the same dazed glint in his eyes that Nova does. Holy hell. Embry printed on Nova.

Nova blinks rapidly and shakes her head. "What the fuck just happened?" She sets her hand on her forehead as if to check for a temperature. "I think I'm losing it. I'm going to go home." And before I can convince her otherwise, Nova is saying bye to Riley and disappearing out the side door.

"You need to tell me who she is." Is the first thing Embry says to me when I walk up to the boys. He continues to stare at the spot Nova stood in before she left.

I snap my fingers in his face to gain his attention. "Her name is Nova Quinn, and as her best friend I am telling you that if you hurt her in any way, shape, or form, your wolf healing will not be able to save you from what I will do to you." A satisfied smirk forms on my lips when Embry gulps nervously and nods.

Embry follows after Quil and Jacob, who search the house for Isabella. Paul leans in to kiss my cheek before looking over my outfit. "Have I told you lately how unbelievably hot you are?"

My face immediately reddens, and I curse myself for being so easily affected by him. "Only every single day." I take my time looking at his outfit. Tight blue jeans with a dark buttoned up shirt, hair gelled to the side. "Did you get dressed up for little ole me?" It's Paul's turn to blush, but he plays it off with a shrug. "I thought you couldn't come over here?" I ask him as we make our way to the drinks.

"We can't, but Bella invited Jacob and we all know how much he loves to rile up the Cullens." I snort at his words. Jacob rejects authority and will do anything to piss off the bloodsuckers. "Sam agreed only because Jacob said we would protect the humans."