When Two Became Four

Morgianna sighed as she stirred the drink in front of her. When they had succeeded in getting rid of the Mayor, that still left them with the empty town and all of its residents being long dead.

They had headed back to the Mayor's residence in the hope of finding something useful but the whole place was nothing but a broken shell of a home. Paintings were shredded on the walls and furniture was broken and scattered across the floors. It looked like someone had gone mad and trashed the entire place. There wasn't a speck of dirt to be seen though so this must have happened recently.

Alnwick whom nobody had seen in his human form since he had broken his bonds with the deceased mayor had reverted back to how he looked years prior.  His red hair with hints of orange throughout looked as if flames were dancing on his head. His eyes were of similar color but colder to look at. Myra for some unknown reason also felt the need to change into her human form and tag along. Though to Morgianna it seemed obvious that she had a crush on Fafnir. She had long green hair and instead of her eyes being yellow as they were in her basilisk form they were purple.

 She had long green hair and instead of her eyes being yellow as they were in her basilisk form they were purple

(For Myra imagine her without the bags under her eyes)

The group of four sat on the floor in what would have been the sitting room if there had been anything to even sit on. Normally Morgianna would have made them something with her creation magic but she still felt drained from the fight.

"Myra, what are your plans now that we have removed the mayor?" Morgianna tried to word the question in a way that would not set the sassy woman off.

The woman discreetly looked in Fafnirs direction as if she would see the answer written on his face before sighing. "To be honest I have lived almost my whole life in that forest, but I want to leave. I want to travel and I was hoping you would allow me to join you."

Morgianna swallowed her giggle, she could see that the woman was infatuated with her dear clueless Fafnir. However, she would not out her as there would be no fun in that.  "Myra, you are a strong capable woman I am sure there are many places you could travel. Why would you wish to tie yourself to us?" She said it with an innocent tilt to her head hoping to at least bait the woman into saying more.

To Morgianna's utter delight, Myra blushed before turning her chin up in a haughty manner. "I want to join your group that gets rid of people like the mayor. Are you saying that I am not good enough to join you?"

This time the giggle could not be swallowed and bubbled up from her throat. "My dear Myra, I would be honored if you join us. I must say there are rules though..." She let the woman see the mischief playing in her eyes before continuing. "You would need to make a pact with me. Then you would need to join my guard back home without letting anyone know of my affiliation with the guild."

She could see the woman was not pleased with the idea of a pact. After all who would choose to be tied to someone when they could be free? With another not so discreet look in Fafnirs direction Myra sighed. Morgianna knew she had agreed before she even spoke. "We shall enter into a temporary pact then."

"With a temporary pact something has to be paid by the one who wishes to break it. What would you want if I were to break the pact?" Morgianna smiled like the cat that got the canary when once again Myra's eyes drifted to Fafnir. "Keep in mind I cannot give you another being but if it is something within my power I will do it. Though I do not imagine I will be the one to break."

With Morgianna's pointed look Myra once again blushed. She knew the small girl was playing with her, but still she felt drawn to the dragon and wanted, no needed to follow him. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened them her purple eyes had shifted to those of her basilisk form. "Forget the temporary then. I will make a pact with you and follow you."

Before the Morgianna could even answer Myra continued as if it was the most normal occurrence in the world. "I Myra Basilic pledge to be by your side. I pledge my magic and my life. Do you accept?"

Morgianna stared wide-eyed at Myra not prepared. All she could do was nod while looking into Myra's slanted yellow eyes. In a movement that was almost too fast to be seen Myra darted forward and grabbed Morgianna's hand bringing her wrist up to her mouth. There was a flash of pointed teeth right before they sunk into her flesh.

Fafnir who had been watching in silence up until this moment was the first to react. Rushing forward he yanked Myra away from Morgianna who was now crouched on the ground holding her bleeding wrist. "What did you do to her?" He was speaking through gritted teeth looking at the green-haired woman as if she had killed his firstborn in front of him.

Myra who was gasping for air after hitting the ground hard tried to speak through the pain. "She..asked for... A pact... I was only... Doing what she wanted." Fafnirs squinted his eyes at her before turning back to Morgianna who had not moved since he slung Myra away.

"Are you alright Morgianna?" He crouched down beside her keeping Myra in his line of sight.

"You crazy B**** you could have at least warned me!" Morgianna finally looked up from her wrist to glare at Myra with undisclosed anger. "That really freaking hurt. Was there no other way?" At the end of her rant she lifted her hand to show a snake tattoo that wound around her wrist and up her arm to her elbow. It disappeared and reappeared as she twisted her wrist. She would need to be careful how many pacts she formed or one day she would run out of space for her tattoos... 

"Most people do not like pain, especially children

"Most people do not like pain, especially children. I figured the quickest way would be to move fast. It is better I ask for forgiveness than permission." Myra shrugged as if it was no big deal but she still shot Fafnir a wounded look that the man did not even pay attention to.

"Alright, guys as much as this play has been fascinating now that everything has been settled can we make a plan?" Three sets of eyes turned to Alnwick as if they had forgotten the bright-haired man's existence.

Morgianna stood on shaky legs and put her cape and hood back on and mustered a smile. "Well obviously the next step is to go back to the guild and tell them what happened to the town. Then I have to explain the both of you to not only Silas but also get you into my father's home."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way I will be going back and adding some to previous chapters. I want to add a tattoo for both Alnwick and Fafnir to show their pact/bond. Thank you all for reading!

The changes would be in the chapters titled: The Pact and The Binds that Hold Us