A Family Vacation

At 11 years old Morgianna had never gone on a family vacation in this world or her last for that matter. Through much begging and pleading she had finally convinced her mother and father that it was all she wanted for her birthday. She did not care where they went as long as they all went together.

It was decided that for a week they could head into Aquaria and enjoy some time at the beach. Whoever said vampires couldn't tan was right they were doomed to be a predominately pasty White House, minus Duchess Lillian of course. While everyone lathered on SPF 150 Lillian laid out in nothing but her swimwear and a smile her olive skin tanning nicely. Out of the whole family she was the only one who was not even in the slightest bit hindered by the scorching sun and instead reveled in its heat.

Morgianna being half-vampire tolerated it slightly better but she still burnt if she was not careful.

"Morgianna don't wander off and make sure to put more sunscreen on. Are you hungry?" Felix was fretting over Morgianna as they walked around the beach collecting shells. Or rather she collected shells and he carried them for her.

She turned and batted her eyes at him in an exaggerated manner. "Big brother if you aren't careful someone would think you are worried about me. Look around you, we are the only people here for miles. Our only companions the fishes in the sea." She twirled around with her arms outstretched leaving footprints in her wake.

...

After three days of playing by the water nonstop everyone was tired and ready for midday naps. Everyone except for Morgianna. As her family slept she snuck out of their rental. Which for obvious reasons to her father was a smaller castle used by nobles for their vacations. When Morgianna had first seen it she couldn't help but frown. 'Father said we would have to stay in a small home, not another castle. Rich people problems sure are...well stupid'

As she was nearing the gate she was spotted by Fafnir and Myra who seemed to be returning from a shift watching the walls. They did not feel they were in danger of being attacked but it was better safe than sorry.

"Where do you think you are going without a guard? You know the rules, all we ask is that you at least try to pretend to follow them." Fafnir was exasperated with her, it seemed almost every day he caught her trying to sneak off to as she said: explore the great unknown.

Morgianna winced at his disapproving eyes and looked to Myra hoping the older woman would bail her out. To her immediate dissatisfaction she could see a similar look from the green-haired woman. "Well I just... You see... There was a thing... Right, a thing... And I wanted to visit it." 'God how stupid can I get, a thing, that was the best I could come up with? Might as well get ready to be locked in my room for the rest of the week' Her internal monologue was quickly cut off by Fafnir putting his hand on her head.

"I know you want to explore, we all see it. We just want you to be careful, this isn't our home and you are an important figure. If you wish to go I will go with you, but we must return before dark." Morgianna felt her eyes widen, not only was he going to let her explore but he would personally go with her.

Thinking back to how she had seen him just finish a shift she wanted to deny it, but if she did the chances of going would be slim to none. "Aren't you tired though? I could wait an hour while you rested..." She was wanting to explore but if it came at the cost of causing discomfort for Fafnir a little wait would not be so bad.

"Nonsense, that's a good hour of daylight that could be used. I know that it isn't much but as tomorrow is your birthday let me do this for you." He patted her head once more and walked off to let the other guards know that they would be leaving.

Myra stood to the side, her face downcast. "You know if you want to come you can. I wouldn't mind having you there." As soon as the words left Morgiannas mouth Myra looked up with a smile that could only be described as blinding.

While it was true that Myra had stopped chasing Fafnir to the point of smothering the man, she had not given up completely. It was a well-known fact within the castle that she was infatuated with him and would scare off any of the maids who got too close.

Myra was about to speak when Fafnir returned causing the woman to swallow the words she was just about to say. "We may leave now, judging by the sun I would say we have 5 hours of daylight left so we have to use it wisely."

He looked at Myra but did not comment when he saw the woman walking with them. Though it had not been said aloud he knew the woman would be joining them on their little adventure.

Leaving the walls behind Morgianna skipped her way down to the beach and set off at a leisurely pace along the shore. She wondered just how far she could go in one direction.

Every now and then she would point out ships in the distance or what she believed to be fins in the waves, but otherwise the trip spent in silence. Everyone enjoying the breeze on their face and the gentle sound of the water lapping at the shore.

Up ahead the beach naturally curved to the right and right in that curve stood a massive ship. No sails could be seen flying in the wind, it almost looked abandoned. She felt the excitement unfurling in her gut and knew the only way to satisfy it would be to climb up on that ship.

She turned to Fafnir, stars in her eyes and he knew without asking what she was wanting. He could only sigh at the girl in front of him. There were times when she would act like she was his senior, and then there were times that be would think her to be younger than the age of her body.

Myra too was all too familiar with the way Morgianna acted. The moment they saw the ship she had already assumed they would be boarding it, whether it was inhabited or not.

Morgianna took a look around and then used her air magic to levitate them off the ground and up to the deck. There were a few visible scars in the wood, but for the most part the ship seemed to be immaculate. It did not seem like a vessel that was abandoned and that gave her a very bad feeling.

Looking around the ropes looked new and there was not a spec of dust to be seen.. almost as if a stage had been set.

"There is something wrong... we need to leave as soon as possible." The whole time she spoke she glanced around at their soundings.

"Leaving so soon?" Morgianna turned to look in the direction of the voice. Behind them stood several men. Their clothes were ragged and worn, faces covered in scraggly beards. If not for the fact that they were able to sneak up on the trio she would have assumed they were nobodies.

Fafnir moved so that he was standing in front of Morgianna. His every movement tracked by the men in front of them.

__________________
Curiosity killed the cat, but in this case it just got her surrounded by pirates. I hope everyone is having a great day.

Like comment and share if you would like ❤️

Word count before note: 1300