20. Two New Recruits

A knock at the door startled the two of us. We looked to each other, alert flushing both of our faces. Josh stepped towards the door and we were both greeted by the boy Liz had spoken to when we arrived.

"You guys settled in okay?" He asked with a wide grin on his face. 

Up close, his jet-black hair only accentuated the dark circles which I could now see lining underneath his eyes, making his face seem longer. I began to think that I was yet to see anybody who looked like they'd actually had a decent night's sleep. 

"I thought I'd come and take you guys to dinner," he continued. "The name's Jack," he introduced himself, holding an outstretched palm towards Josh. "Jack Lee."

He shook it firmly. "Josh," he said. "This is Em," he added, nodding over his shoulder to me. I gave a small smile in response and Jack's grin only seemed to get wider.

"What do you think of the place?" He questioned, reminding me of an excited school-kid who'd just made a new friend in the playground. It was a refreshing change, but I couldn't help but feel unnerved.

"It's a lot to take in," Josh replied, leaning against the doorframe.

"You'll settle down in no time. Everybody does." He waved his arm to more caravans further down, "I'm just four down from you guys." Jack turned his head and watched the people that were now jogging past behind him. He turned back to us with a smile. "You guys hungry?"

The mass of caravans seemed like a maze as we followed Jack through the herd of people that were walking in the same direction. The smell of cooking wafted through the masses, filling my nostrils and sending my stomach into a frenzy. We were close enough that I could see the plume of smoke we were heading towards rising in the distance.

"Who's really in charge here?" Josh asked outright.

"Liz," Jack stated without hesitation. "She's modest, but she keeps Dawn Hill under control."

"What about Zach?" I asked quieter, noticing how many people were around us. 

Jack shook his head. "Nah, Liz trusts Zach, one of the few people she does but-" 

"Like a right-hand man?" Josh interrupted.

"Not exactly... She doesn't really do that kind of thing."

"What does she do then?" I asked.

"It's usually her way goes," Jack responded, not looking at either of us.

Jack led the way through the crowd towards a gazebo-like tent. The range of people that surrounded us surprised me. Young children all the way to people that must've been well over 60. He didn't seem fazed by the children that ran past him screaming.

"What about the noise?" I pointed out as we began lining up just outside the tent.

"What about it?" Jack chuckled in response, seeming amused.

"You're not worried about it attracting the Infected?" I explained, taking a step forwards as the line moved.

"It used to," he nodded. "But once we started clearing out the herds around here, we've hardly had any trouble."

Once we entered into the tent, he picked up three trays and handed them out to us. They were small and metal and reminded me of something I'd seen on a survival documentary. The food being served was a mixture of beans and rice, along with a cup of water. I picked up a fork and followed both boys towards a log that was positioned in front of the fire. It spat and crackled irregularly, shooting glowing embers into the air where they then fluttered back down. The smell of the smoke was satisfying, and I found comfort in the warmth it expelled.