27. The Next Strain

"Fucking hell," Josh breathed as I opened my eyes. 

I couldn't imagine how I looked. My head was pounding, and I could feel my red skin sore from the duct tape. The patch around my mouth was still sticky. My cheeks stung where thin scratches laced them and I'm sure my neck must've been purple with bruises. 

Two blurry figures stood in front of me as my eyes struggled to adjust. Another figure stood in the doorway to the tent where the light poured in. I knew it was Liz. She stood with her legs apart and her arms folded, like an animal ready to pounce at any moment.

"How are you alive?" Josh whispered, snapping me out of my daze. Every muscle in my body felt like it had seized up, struggling to repair the damage.

"What's she doing here?" I mumbled as Apollo came into focus. I noticed her demeanour change and she suddenly looked uncomfortable standing beside Josh.

"Lo was helping me look for you," he explained. "She organised the search party." He scoffed, "I can't believe they found you alive... Where did you go? Why did you go?" The words tumbled from his lips and I knew he had more questions than I could give him answers to. I could feel Liz's cold, hard stare against me as my eyes met his.

"I'm fine, Josh... Everything's fine," I mumbled. As the words left my lips, a man I barely recognised approached the bed.

"Is she going to be okay, doc?" Josh asked over his shoulder.

"Doc?" I repeated, dazed.

"Em, my name's Phil," the man greeted. "I've been having a look at you while you've been here." He held a clipboard in his hand which he examined, flicking various pieces of paper over the top.

"Phil," I breathed against the pain in my throat.

"Try not to talk too much," Phil warned. "You've got some pretty bad bruising around your neck which is going to be quite sore. There was also a small wound to your head but that should heal up on its own."

"So, she'll be alright?" Josh questioned.

"She'll be just fine," Phil smiled. "Although, she is dehydrated so I want to keep her here until it's under control."

"I know you..." I rasped. The fear found me once again. The images flooded my brain, my stomach lurched, and my heart ached. Phil's face only scrunched as if he was trying to remember my face. "You're Jo's husband," I stated with fingertips to my lips.

"Would you lot mind if I had a moment alone with Em?" Liz interrupted. 

The group around me widened their eyes but silently obeyed. Josh's touch lingered on my skin before he gave in and followed Apollo out of the tent. I flinched as Liz sat down on the bed at my feet, pushing myself further against the pillow behind me.

"I don't want to hurt you, Em," she said in a low voice. 

"You've got a really funny way of showing that."

"I want you to be on my side," she explained.

"Why?"

She gave a half-smile and crossed her hands in her lap. "Because I can see what you really want. I understand it now."

I cocked my head. "What do I really want?"

"Safety." My chest seemed to sink as I avoided her lingering gaze. "You don't have any family. What else would you be looking for?" She paused, giving her words time to sink in. "These beings have caused so much pain to so many people... I'll bet your family aren't the only ones they've taken." I only shook my head in response, but it was all she needed. "It's not fair," she said, reaching out to touch my hand. "I can make them all go away."