25. New Home

Liz's motorhome was just as uninviting the second time and the candles perched around the room set me on edge. I sat where I had before, except this time, Liz sat opposite with a gun trained on my head and Apollo stood at the far end of the room. She didn't meet my gaze as her arms folded across her body. Her eyes were focused on the discoloured carpet where she scuffed at a spot with her boot. They both wore matching ponytails except Liz's was much frizzier. 

They weren't just looking at me. They were examining, finding things and leaving an invisible map across my face.

"So, what happens now?" I sighed, staring at Liz. "Kill me?"

She shook her head and the corners of her lips turned upwards. "No," she whispered, placing the gun on the table. "That would be too easy."

"Then what?" I pressed. "Kill Josh?"

She scoffed. "It seems like there's so much you don't know... That's the last thing I want to do."

"Why are you hoarding Infected so close to the fence?" I announced.

"Why would I tell you that?" She smiled, her lips pulling back from her teeth.

"Thought it was worth a try," I shrugged, "seeing as we're both here, spending time together."

"I'm not sure how I feel about your new attitude," she cocked her head.

"Just trying it out..." I replied quieter, realising she'd caught on. "Why are you lying to everyone here?"

"Lying?" She raised her eyebrows, shaking her head. "We're not lying. It's just... Selective information."

"Pretty big piece of information to skip out if you ask me." I glanced over to Apollo who met my gaze. The expression on her face was unreadable but the small shake of her head she gave caused a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, my confidence failing.

"Oh, look at you..." she spoke, raising a hand. "You're unhappy here." I flinched at her touch. At the delicate, bony fingers she brought to my face. "I heard about your little conversation with Josh," she said. "You think I want to kill you?"

"Don't you?"

She pursed her lips and nodded. "I want to kill a lot of people, Em." I couldn't help but laugh at her honesty. "However," she continued. "Right now, I don't think that is in my best interest."

I caught sight of a photo frame on one of the shelves beside her. It was her and a young boy smiling, standing in front of the golden gate bridge. "Is that your son?" I asked her.

She gave a small smile. "It is."

I pursed my lips. "Looks like someone I know." 

"Indeed, he does," she sighed.

I met her gaze once again. "Why me?" I asked, continuing our conversation. "What have I done?"

Her eyes narrowed and a smirk brushed her thin lips. "You're causing me a few problems... First your little investigation adventure and now it seems like there's a few people here trying to help you out... Seems like some aren't so loyal to this place after all."

My heart began to beat faster and my palms began to sweat as I realised what Liz was truly capable of. My body had begun to fail my façade, but I wasn't about to give myself away easily. I pushed back every emotion that tried to force its way through and opened my mouth to speak. 

Liz cut me off by placing a familiar note on the table in front of me. A deep crease had set through the middle of the page where it had been unfolded and refolded. It had not long ago been written and it had already looked like it had been to hell and back.