21. Beyond The Fence

I awoke to a pounding static in my head. No doubt a side effect of the constant fear and constant stress. The dreams weren't doing me any favours, if I could even call them dreams. It was early but I couldn't go back to sleep, I wouldn't. The fear of having another nightmare loomed over me like a dark cloud that wouldn't pass. 

I looked to my left where Josh still slept. His chest rose and fell rhythmically, I almost felt peaceful just watching it, feeling my breathing begin to synchronise with his. Sitting up on the mattress, I peered through the small gap in the pale blinds. Nobody was around, not even guards were patrolling as they had been the night before. The sun had not yet fully risen and a blue tint was cast across the campsite, an eerie light as if everything was on power-save.

The handle creaked as I opened the door. The sound was the only thing to signal my exit and it seemed to echo around the caravan. Josh didn't stir, he only groaned quietly before shuffling over onto his side, not noticing the newly empty space in the bed. The door clicked open and I stepped out onto the trodden down grass. No sounds came from the other caravans and I knew I should go back inside. But I needed to clear my head and if Josh woke, he'd only ask more questions. 

A cold breeze hit me as I stood alone, sending a shiver down my spine. The hairs on my arms stood on end and tiny goosebumps stood to attention on my skin. I pulled my arms closer into my body, crossing them against my chest.

Small embers glowed from the fire-pit and smoke still rose around it, sending the air into a grey haze. I was almost tempted to stop and sit but there was no doubt that I'd be spotted. I had never been that much of a reckless person, not to this extent anyway. I was confused by the sudden change in myself and yet I understood it.

The whiteboard was still blank as I passed, only a blank grid had been drawn with mine and Josh's squashed names now added to the bottom. I ducked past the tent and followed the fence around the site, past the cars and vans that were parked near the perimeter. I recognised the motorhome we'd been brought to when we arrived, the only one I'd seen so far. Liz's. I began to step more quietly on the grass, trying to make my breathing as slow as possible so to not be heard. 

I followed the fence around the back to a small opening partially obstructed by a small rusting red car. The opening was closed off and padlocked by a large metal gate. The mesh gaps were sealed by planks of wood which had been nailed across from the opposite side, concealing any chance of a view. To anybody else, it would look as if there was a change in the perimeter fence, a gap that they simply patched up. Up close, there were small breaks in the wood. They were barely cracks, but enough to see the fences that extended outwards like an enclosure. I was pressing my face closer against the barrier, straining my neck trying to get a better view when footsteps behind me sent my stomach to my feet.

"Harrison?" Liz questioned from behind me. A shiver shot down my spine as I turned slowly, pulling my gaze from what lay beyond the fence. "What are you doing?" She inquired, her voice hushed and in a tone that was not to be messed with. She'd pulled her dark hair back into a tight bun, almost stretching her eyes. She looked fiercer and I was terrified.

"I was just... uh," I stammered, struggling to explain myself. "I was just on a walk... I got a bit lost."

She narrowed her eyes. Her face was like a mask that I couldn't read. She could've had the worst hand in poker and still have you fooled. Her dark eyes glanced to the gate behind me and back again. 

"You do realise what time it is?"

"Not really."

"5:30 am," she stated, folding her arms across her chest.

"Oh," I exhaled, a small laugh forcing its way from my throat. "I couldn't get back to sleep," I added, "I thought I'd get to know my way around a bit."