28. Scouting Mission

The world was still, as if it had ended all over again in the night. The sun was still stuck below the horizon, struggling to lift itself up. I closed my eyes, feeling the pull of my dreams beckoning me back. I missed the vibrant hues of artificial lighting, keeping me awake when I wanted not to be. 

The days passed and each one felt longer than the last. It was getting more difficult to stay quiet, to keep my mouth shut. Dawn Hill was not the paradise they promised on the radio. It was not the save haven I'd pictured and yet I had no other alternative. Phil had told me the truth and it was only a matter of time before both Josh and I would both be dead.

Apollo's stare bore down on me each morning at breakfast, and then at lunch and then at dinner. I felt as if I was on constant surveillance. Without Liz to keep an eye on me, it seemed like she was the alternative.

"So, what are you all up to today?" I tried to make conversation.

"We had some Infected pretty close to the fence yesterday," Jack explained through a mouthful of food. "We were going to make sure everything is still secure on the outer perimeter."

"Be careful out there," I nodded to both him and Josh who remained quiet. I couldn't bring myself to talk to him about what Phil had said. Jack and Apollo had their tentacles wrapped too tightly around him for him to believe me.

"We've got each other's backs. We'll be alright," Jack nudged Josh's shoulder and he gave a brief smile in response before turning his attention back to his food. "Why don't you come outside the fence with us today?" Jack suggested.

"What?" Apollo said.

"Yeah, why not? You'd be great out there," he added.

"I don't know about that..." I struggled for words as I looked to Josh. "I don't think Liz wants me out there."

"I think you're ready to get back out there," Josh agreed. "It'll be an easy job today anyway.

Jack twitched in his seat. "If I can get Liz to agree to it, will you come out?" 

I dug at the dirt with my shoes. I had no way of telling whether it was a good idea. I tried to hide my uneasiness as I looked between the three of them. Going outside the fence would either end up being my execution or my escape, and I decided I was willing to take the risk. 

"Alright," I agreed. "I'll come."

*

Liz turned to the direction where I stood across the field. I froze as her gaze washed over me, scanning from top to bottom.

Josh pushed me in her direction. "Go," he urged, nudging me towards her and Jack.

"Jack tells me he thinks you'd be beneficial outside the fence?" Liz questioned, her eyes darting across my face.

"Clearly, he's seen something that I'm not aware of," I joked, too confidently for Liz's sense of humour.

Her eyes narrowed only briefly, only so I noticed. It was quick but long enough for me to notice the warning in them. "I will allow it for today to see how you handle it," she said. 

The expression on her face was hard and unmoving and I could barely read it. She clicked her tongue before turning and walking back inside the tent, leaving only the smell of aged perfume in the air.

"Alright," Jack grinned. "First things first, outside the fence is serious business, Em," he warned.

"Obviously," I confirmed.

"You got a gun?" He asked. I shook my head, realising I'd lost my only weapon a long time ago. Josh shuffled forward, pulling a small gun from his waistband.