4

** Hi guys, quick disclaimer! The "I'm not like other girls" comments towards Madeline are kind of getting annoying although I understand what you mean

** Hi guys, quick disclaimer! The "I'm not like other girls" comments towards Madeline are kind of getting annoying although I understand what you mean. I didn't word it well, what I meant was like Madeline was different from the other Ladies regarding the expected behavior. At first the comments were funny but now you guys are taking it a bit too seriously. Madeline's character is a feminist and doesn't believe she's better than anyone. I wrote the beginning of the book a while ago so I probably didn't think much into it. I hope this has all been cleared 😘😘***

"The palace is so quiet," I marveled, as a maid led me through. It was well appointed and even more beautiful than the outside. The walls were covered in a smooth maroon velvet and were also adorned with portraits of Aridia's past monarchs.

"Most of the Ladies are preparing for dinner with the royal family," The maid replied, leading me up a grand spiraling staircase.

"Dinner?!" I exclaimed, almost choking on my own saliva.

"Yes, my lady," She nodded. "Today the Ladies dine with the royal family. It's a Choice tradition."

I had expected to meet the royal family at some point, but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon. I had hardly gotten used to the new setting. Plus, I needed time to collect myself before parading in front of the most important people in the country.

"And where will I be residing?" I asked, trying my best to sound 'lady-like'.

"The Ladies reside in individual rooms. But, all the ladies share a salon," The maid explaining, turning onto another long hallway, this one even quieter than the previous one.

I was definitely satisfied that I didn't have to share a bedroom with any of the obnoxious Ladies. I had suffered more than enough sleepless nights at Finishing School, thanks to the girls' giggling and whispering.

I followed the maid, the silence between us growing into an uncomfortable void.

"So, do you see the prince a lot?" I asked, desperately trying to fill the awkward silence.

"Prince Carlos likes to keep to himself," The maid said, like it was something she explained on a daily basis.

"So he has no friends, at all?" I raised an eyebrow. I wasn't one to talk, though I found it strange that a Prince would be all alone.

"No," The maid laughed, quickly catching herself and resuming her placid expression. "Lord Amancio is the prince's closest friend. He also resides in the castle."

I had never heard of a Lord Amancio but I never was one to listen to the gossip about the prince that circulated on a daily basis. I wondered what Lord Amancio was like. If he spent time with the prince then surely he must act like him as well.

"What's this Lord Amancio like?" I asked.

I noticed that the a dreamy expression clouded her eyes and a small smile tugged at her lips. "Lord Amancio is ever the gentleman. He's so handsome."