CHAPTER EIGHT(PART TWO)

"I think it's finally time for me to start all over again and this time I really do mean it!"- Hisham Hosseini.

"Smoking..."

"Drinking..."

"Haram relationships..."

"Rudeness overload – level one thousand..."

"Who the hell are you?" asked Hisham as he moved a few more inches away from his father.

"Are those the only four things you chose to pick out of all that I just told you?"

"I am sorry but those were the highlights!"

"I told you to get over it already," said Hussein with an eye roll.

"Not for the next hundred years. Gosh I can't even try to unhear what I just I heard! I really might need a therapist after this. Any good recommendations?"

Hussein let out a laugh while shaking his head, raked his hand through his hair multiple times, smiled and then said...

"That was who I was in the past, Hisham. That was who, I really was and there is nothing I can really do, to change it. Many at times, you just have to accept some things and move on."

"Something I should be doing?"

"Unless you are as DAFT as it gets!"

An emotionless laugh escaped Hisham's lips and while sadly staring out into space, he said...

"I trusted my heart once Baba and it betrayed me terribly. How can I then, move on when the last thing I want to do is listen to it?"

"Your Mama moved on yet she always listened to her heart too."

"Is that why she married you?"

"Nope!"

Hisham turned to look at his father inquisitively and his next answer left him only but more confused.

"Her heart never really left her with an option when it came to me."

"What? What do you mean?"

"She seems to have had, literally all the options. Her first option, was simply saying no! Secondly, she had both her parent's support. You were like the last option on the list. Wait, I doubt you even made it to her list of options but okay, whatever makes you sleep at night."

"You aren't ever going to let me live from now on, are you?" asked Hussein with an exaggerated eye roll.

"What? Am I crazy? Why would I want to do that?"

Hussein laughed, playfully punched his son on the shoulder causing Hisham to laugh as well and then said...

"Sometimes we make decisions that don't really make any sense. Decisions that end up affecting us for the rest of our lives. Decisions that don't really offer any choices before you make them, but which have several outcomes. Severe outcomes!"

"Your mothers biggest mistake in life was that she made a decision to choose family over family!"

"Excuse me? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Isn't that basically the same thing?" asked Hisham confusedly.

"I told you she didn't really have an option!"

"Would it kill you to elaborate or have you always been this difficult?"

Hussein turned to look at Hisham, quirked up one of his eyebrows wanting to give him the snarkiest reply ever but chose not to when Hisham sent him a totally fake but cute smile in return.