Chapter 22

secrets

She sat in front of the lawyers and next to judge emotionless

She sat in front of the lawyers and next to judge emotionless. Her answers were all so short and held little to no information in them.  We all watched her from the back with a blank stare and we were all slightly intrigued by the girl we saw at the front. She was such a mystery. I have never seen her smile, laugh or cry. She is always holding that black emotionless look. Always acting as if she is hiding something.

When I first found out about having a sister I wasn't sure how to react. She was fifteen years old. I have never met her, I have never been in her life. I have missed her and a part of me feels like I have already failed her. When I first saw her, I felt something inside my heart sink. She looked so small and like she has to be through hell and back. seeing how small and tiny she was made her look so vulnerable and innocent. It was the innocence that doesn't survive. The innocence what the world seeks to destroy. But truly made me feel like have failed was her eyes. Her eyes held so much pain and scars and coldness. Which confused me someone so small and innocent shouldn't hold this in their eyes. I thought when I first saw her that she was some depressed girl or something. Maybe she has fallen in the same hole as the people who raised her. It made me feel like I failed so badly as a brother. I promised myself I would never let anyone hurt my family. Yet seeing my new found baby sister made me feel like I broke that promise. The one promise that I swore to never break.

I don't understand why father thought it was a good idea bringing her here. Our world is not meant for a girl like her. She has been living a normal life for her whole life. Her being here only makes her more vulnerable than she already is. More vulnerable to danger. I might seem harsh, cruel and mean. But I am only trying to get dad and my brothers to see the truth. She can't stay here. we can't protect her. How can we protect her when we have an endless amount of enemies trying to find our weakness. And if our enemies take one glance at Breanna, they will hurt her to hurt us. If that happened I could never forgive myself.

I thought to be cruel and mean to her would make her cry or scream in anger at me. but her reaction only angered me more. Why wasn't sure reacting? What was wrong with her? She is always hiding something. Something under her big baggy clothes and emotionless blank stare. I want to find out. But I also don't want to hurt her. I don't get attached to her. This life is so dangerous. It is life of a gamble. It just feels cruel and wrong to bring someone so innocent to this life.

I haven't apologised to her yet. Which might seem wrong but she hasn't said anything about it and I know that Alex or Enzo will probably ask me later about it later. If I don't apologise to her they will probably tell dad. And that is pretty much writing and signing my death sentence. Dad and the boys are already growing attached and protective of Breanna. Yesterday when we explored they couldn't shut up about her they were constantly worried about her. So, in the end, we cut the day short and headed back. Once they dismissed her she looked at us and her lips twitched into a frown. Before instantly bringing it back into her blank inhuman emotionless face.

The people who raised her looked like complete stone heads. If it was up to dad I know he would have tortured them and hurt them. Cause it is clear that they have neglected my baby sister. But in favour of our friend we have allowed him to do what he wants with his traitor. But this mike and whatever the stone head lady name is. They are lucky that they haven't hurt her. Because if they did, they would wish they were never born. They will curse the day they ever met the Moretti family.

The whole time the lawyers and detectives asked me questions I felt myself on the verge of a panic attack

The whole time the lawyers and detectives asked me questions I felt myself on the verge of a panic attack. The pain and the speed of my heart felt unimaginable. It felt as if I was on the verge of a heart attack. I tried to ignore the way Mike and Margaret looked at me. Margaret looked at me with a disgustful and hatred glare. While Mike eyed me up and down at my body smirking and looking at me with his evil dark perverted lustful brown eyes. It bought vile to my throat. I squeezed my legs shut and dug my nails into my palms to the point it drew blood. This was worse than torture. This was worse than a hundred of mikes belt whips. This was worse than their punches, slaps or kicks. Cause it felt us if they stomped on my heart. I felt so broken so weak. I wanted to scream on the top of my lungs. I wanted to scream and cry to the world. I want to stand up and be brave and courageous. I want to look Mike in the eye then to the judge and tell him the truth. The whole truth. I wanted justice. A selfish part of me wanted revenge. It wanted to blood for blood. It wanted an eye for an eye. But of course, I only screamed in silence. I only told the truth in silence.

I wasn't just lying to myself... I was lying to everyone.

I was letting them win. I let mike and Margaret win. That made me numb. Somehow I felt more numb then I have ever felt. I wanted to lock myself somewhere and never come out. I wanted to hide. I wanted to run away.

I sat down in my seat next to frank and some social worker. I stared emotionless to a blank spot on the wall. If dad saw me he would be so disappointed me. if he saw me he would no longer see me as his bumblebee. He would see me us some disgusting, coward, pathetic weak girl. A single tear ran down my throat and I quickly wiped it away before anyone could see. But apparently Frank saw because he gave me a small sad smile. I didn't look at him I just continued my blank stare at the wall.

"25 years charged to Mark Williams imprisonment for trafficking a marketable quantity of controlled drugs and 12 years charged to Margaret Carmon for imprisonment for trafficking a marketable quantity of controlled drugs and 2 additional years of child neglect for Breanna Moretti". The jury called out reading the letter. My whole world stopped and my heart dropped.

Child neglect...

Child neglect.

Child neglect....

Those two words echoed continuously in my head. I felt emptiness. I felt broken. I felt like a shattered glass doll. Why does my heart broken.. this is what I wanted... right? Now I can just move on and forget my life. But why does this hurt so much? In 25 years I could see Mike again.. in 14 years, I could see Margaret again.

But this is what I wanted.....

So why do I feel so much regret?