Chapter 49

trying to break the shell

"hello Breanna, my name is Laura." It doesn't surprise me after last night that they took me to a therapist. As much as I want to convince myself that this is all stupid a part of me wants this tightness in my chest to disappear. "hi." My voice was cold I almost cringed myself for how cold I sounded. It's not my fault though I am just absolutely shit at talking. "how about we get to know each other a bit more". I nodded and tried my best to pay attention to her story. She said that she has a lovely wife called Sophie and that she has two daughters what she recently adopted. To be honest, Laura is very nice and kind but I just find it hard to open up to anyone. Especially when I have grown up teaching myself to close everyone off.

"pardon"? I quickly say as I realise that she has been staring at me for a minute now. "I asked how is it living in a house full of boys, I know I couldn't do it?" she giggled to herself. I gave her a small smile. "yeah it's not too bad but the testosterone does get a bit much". I chuckled and she giggled along giving me a bright warm bubbly smile. "so, I heard that you have been having nightmares is that true." She said as she opened her notepad and grabbed a pen. I clicked my tongue annoyance. Does she seriously think I am going to open up to her if I only just met her? As if she could read my mind she smiled once again. "it's ok we don't have to talk about anything too serious we can just talk more and get to know each other. Or if you prefer it we don't have to talk at all." I furrowed my eyebrows at her and played with the strings of my jumper. A part of me wanted to just spill everything out and tell her everything. But the other part just told me to shut up and to just stay silent for the rest of the stupid bloody hour.

"cool." I nodded then leaned back onto the comfy sofa then continued to play with the strings of my hoodie. She got the message that I didn't want to talk and leaned back in her seat crossing her legs. I felt a bit awkward and guilty for not knowing wanting to talk to her. But I just don't think I am ready to open up. Besides, why do I need to open up when my dad has basically already told her everything.

The hour eventually went by and throughout the whole thing she just stared at me studying me. when I walked out of the office Laura, dad and Alex stepped aside to talk in 'private'. Basically, an excuse to snitch on me and tell my dad that he wasted his money because I didn't open up one bit. I leaned back in my seat my arms crossed across my chest. I still can't believe Alex brought the best therapist to his clinic just for 'me' sometimes it amazes me what money can do. But something tells me it also has something to do with being in the mafia. Another thing I don't think I will ever get over.

When Alex and dad came back they gave sad sympathetic smiles which really confused me because aren't they supposed to be mad or something. "are you ready to go sweetheart Alex has to stay here and do some work." I nodded and stood up. Alex wrapped me up in his arms and kissed my forehead. "I love you Bambina. We all do." He whispered in my ear at first I was confused but then I realised that the so-called therapist must have said something.