Chapter four | Superficial Values

My foot created a rhythmic beat along the wall. I hummed the song I last heard on the radio as I checked the time on my phone.

Worry slipped through my thoughts as I saw it was half-past five. A sudden dread settled in the pit of my stomach, making me bite my nail nervously.

What if he doesn't show up?

What will I do if he suddenly changes his mind?

All my thoughts came to a sudden halt as I noticed a familiar figure approach. A smile involuntarily slipped on my face, and I felt myself relax. The stiffness of my shoulder suddenly dissipated.

Soon he was standing in front of me clad in simple jeans and a pale yellow t-shirt. He quirked a dark brow in question.

"You are late," I said, narrowing my eyes towards him. "We'd decided on five-fifteen, and it's five thirty! My precious fifteen minutes are gone."

Annoyance was evident through my words, but he didn't seem to care. In response, he just rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, I was half expecting it to be a joke on your part," he mumbled under his breath.

Understanding consumed my thoughts, and soon my shoulder shook as I laughed at the statement. It was funny how both of us were self-doubting the arrangement. "Here I thought you would ditch me today," I confessed, choking with laughter.

A smile made its way on his face, making his eyes lighten. As soon as it came, it disappeared too. He squared his shoulders and pursed his lips.

"So, what now?" he said as he looked at the mall entrance.

I gave him a bland look, as he stared back just as confused. I rolled my eyes and entered the mall, not bothering to answer his query.

"Hey, you didn't answer my question!" he exclaimed as he caught up to me with long steps.

Exasperated, I turned around with a flat look. "Shopping, duh," My answer curt as I resumed walking towards the mall map.

I scanned the map, trying to find the men's apparel shops between cramped small boxes and numbers. I ignored the weird choking noise he was making at the back of his throat and concentrated on my task.

"You brought me here to shop?" he asked, sounding more and more irritated with every word.

With my eyes still focused on the map, I felt myself nod. "Yes, shopping," I muttered, not paying him much attention. "Aha!" I cried out in triumph a few seconds later.

I turned and grabbed his hand. Tugging him along, I stood in front of the elevator doors. Pressing the metal button, we stepped in as the doors slid open.