Chapter sixteen | Winging both the ways

Shock rippled through my body, bringing my thoughts to an abrupt halt. The heavyweight of his words silenced me to the core.

Finding that your best friend was bisexual was one thing, but discovering that she newly turned lesbian and dumped your other best friend was another.

I blinked into thin air, trying to grasp the threads of my thoughts but all in vain.

Connor's shoulders shook as he sobbed loudly, slumping over his knees. I opened my mouth, trying to form the words to console him.

"You will get over it, Connor."

I cringed when he turned and glared at me, telling me how wrong my words were. I am an idiot.

Never said otherwise. My brain added.

"You don't get over someone you love, Elias," He let out in a croaky voice. His voice was heavy with crying, and his tanned face looked pale.

Watching him being so vulnerable ripped my heart. I, for the very first time in my life, wanted that smug smile and cheeky remarks back.

Finally, coming to terms with the loss of comforting words, I asked the question itching me.

"What exactly happened?" I inquired, trying to understand the situation.

Connor had stopped crying but still resorted to leaning over his knees. He heaved a heavy sigh and gave me a long look.

It was as if he was staring right through me. His eyes had a faraway look, making me feel worried.

"She had been acting weird for the past few weeks, especially since the school started," he said as he moved his eyes to focus on the floor. "She was more distant, and when I tried talking about it, she would wave me off."

"So, last night, when we were playing the beer pong, she had quietly left for somewhere. I didn't even notice until the end of the game. You disappeared soon after that, making me feel worried about her." Connor paused and gulped.

"I called her, and she picked up on the first ring. She asked me to come out to the front as she felt suffocating inside. I did as she asked and soon found her gazing up in the sky, right outside in the front porch. Before I could ask where she had been, she blurted that some girl had kissed her."

A heavy pause followed, making me gulp. "Navya cheated on you?" The words tasted bitter on my tongue.

Connor shook his head vehemently, making me release a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

"I got angry, but she rubbed my arms and calmed me down. She said that a girl kissed, most probably in the drunken stupor, but she didn't kiss her back. Before I could express relief and apologize, she pulled away from me. Navya said that she had thought about it for a long time, and the kiss the girl gave finalized her decision."