Chapter forty-five | Jittery kid

I fidgeted in my seat as I waited for her arrival. She jumped into the driver's seat of her car and buckled up. Giving me a mischievous smile, she wiggled her eyebrows in a teasing manner.

I didn't pay her kidding any heed as I looked out of the window.

Pulling out of the driveway, she hummed the tune from the radio.

"What did the doctor say about your sprain?" she asked out of blue, giving my wrapped ankle a small glance.

I huffed and crossed my arms. "I need at least one more week of rest. I didn't want to miss more, so here I am with my crutches," I muttered.

She rolled her eyes at my last statement with an amused smile on her face. "You are such a nerd."

We drove in silence as my thoughts went to our date night almost one week ago.

"Will you be my girlfriend, Cynthia?" I asked, feeling my nerves acting crazy.

She smiled in response and tilted her head. "Very romantic, Eli," she teased, stepping closer to me.

I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly and averted my eyes. "I am not good with flowery words and poem things. So, straight to the point, will you be my girlfriend or not?"

She jutted her lower lip out adorably and blinked up at me. "What if I say no?"

Even if I knew she was teasing (hopefully), a slight panic settled in the pit of my stomach. I tried to act playful and rolled my eyes.

"Then it looks like I wasted my time here. Bye!" I yelped as soon as words escaped me, rubbing the sore spot where she had pinched me hard.

"Calm down, violent lady," I muttered.

She just narrowed her eyes and leaned closer to me. Connecting her lips to mine, she sent my mind on overdrive.

My eyes fluttered shut, and my hands enclosed her waist.

"Is that answer enough?" she whispered, pulling away from my lips.

I collected my mush of mind and gulped at her stare. "Seemed more like a physical relationship, Ouch!"

Jolting back to the present, I felt her shaking my shoulder. Cynthia's brown eyes gazed up at me with a questioning look as loud noises of the school parking lot filtered through my ears. "Are you fine, Eli?"

Her concern made me smile as I moved my head no. "Absolutely," I muttered and waited for her to help me out.

Handling crutches was hard.

She opened the door for me and handed me the crutches. Wobbling a bit, I got up to my feet.

Students stared up at me with interest, while their lips moved, forming words quickly.