Chapter seven | Living More Than Little

A heavy sigh slipped past my lips as I gazed up at my reflection in the mirror. I ran a hand through my hair, checking the time once again. Connor and Navya would show up at eight-thirty.

I once again looked into the mirror, staring and noticing how different my attire was. While I was sporting the regular blue jeans and a white t-shirt, the leather jacket on top gave it an unfamiliar look.

Somehow, even if it was me who was staring back, I couldn't help but feel unfamiliar. The person standing on the other side of the mirror felt different from me.

My thought came to a halt as my bedroom door flew open. I looked up to see my dad leaning against the door frame. He scrutinized my appearance for a second and then grinned.

"Trying to impress someone?" he asked, sounding amused.

I opened my mouth to deny but shut it close at the last moment. Finally, I just nodded and sighed in response. Not a lie.

He came closer and gave me a pat on my back. "Don't be scared and live a little. Make sure you enjoy the party." He paused for a moment, letting his words hang in the air.

"As for your crush, remember to be yourself," he advised.

Something inside of me clenched at his words, and I felt a sudden guilt consuming me. With a meek nod, I averted my eyes from his.

Sound of a car honk filled the house, gaining my attention. I gave Dad a quick smile and thundered down the stairs. Making sure that I had my house keys and phone with me, with some cash, I opened the front door.

"Oh my, God! It is your first party!" Navya squealed as I settled in the back seat of Connor's car.

"Not first, second," I corrected her.

Navya scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "When?" she asked, trying to recall the memory.

Before I could respond, Connor jumped in. "Freshman year."

"Fresh... Oh!" She said in realization. I was grateful that they didn't mention it again because going to this party was already nerve-wracking for me.

My phone pinged with a text message as silence ensued in the car.

Cynthia: 'Where are you?'

I rolled my eyes at her text. I could practically imagine her stomping with impatience. My fingers quickly moved over the screen, typing in the response.

Elias: 'Just a few minutes.'

Three dots appeared on the screen as I patiently waited for her response.

Cynthia: 'K

Wait for me at the front door.'

By the time I had read the text, the car was stopping in front of a huge house. Stepping outside, I could hear the muffled beats of music. The driveway of the house was dirty. There wrappers and red cups littered everywhere. Occasional pukes manured the front lawn.