XXIV

"I can't believe you'd do such a low thing, Syren," Myth hissed angrily as the calm water around him caged him from all sides. The only thing above the surface was his head to prevent him from drowning. Additionally, Syren wanted the hero to watch while she took what was most precious to him. Sitting on a lonely rock next to him, she giggled softly. Myth regretted ever leaving you alone, his eyes burning holes into Syren's skull. "To strike where she's most vulnerable... you're disgusting..."

"It's called determination, Myth," she explained with a large grin, her eyes trained on a figure in the far distance. She clicked her tongue when she witnessed you stepping away from the illusion of Mora she had created. Simultaneously, a relieved sigh escaped Myth's lips.

Why didn't you come save me when I couldn't save myself?

"I... am I just dreaming? Have I truly become insane after weeks of horrible loneliness?" you stuttered to yourself, lowering your raised arm to your side. The motherly smile on Mora's face stayed; an angelic chuckle escaped her lips. "Mother, you're... here... with me."

"Yes, I'm here. In blood and flesh," she muttered calmly, putting her hand on your shoulder. You flinched slightly as you felt her cold hand touch you. Even though layers of fabric separated her hand and your bare skin, you felt the cold surging through your whole body. With wide eyes, you eyed her elegant movements. "Come here to Mother. Do you know how much I longed to see you? It's a dream come true to see you all grown up like you are now..."

"Oh, Mother," you cried out while she wrapped her arms around you, enveloping you in a comforting hug. You laid your head on her chest, your ears able to make out the faint beating of her heart — or was that just something you imagined? You closed your eyes and tried to solely focus on the moment. Mora's soulless eyes were trained on your limp arm whose hand held the necklace in its weak grasp. Her one hand slowly travelled up and down your back; the other one carefully snuck towards the piece of jewellery. "I really missed you, you know? The world is so grey without you," you whispered softly, your hand unconsciously jerking from her reach.

Mora wanted to curse under her breath, but she forced herself to maintain the smile on her face. In your desperation, you hadn't noticed the emptiness in those (E/c) eyes of hers you remembered to be full of life. "Yes, my dear. I missed you, too," she cooed under her breath. Soon, her hand slowly continued moving again. "That's why you shouldn't destroy the necklace. It keeps my spirit with you at all times."

"So I shouldn't destroy it?" you asked with doubt sprinkled in the same (E/c) eyes that bore into yours. "Are you sure? I... I never wanted these powers. I never wanted to have the ability to help Syren with her villainous plans."

"They're a gift," Mora explained, her voice abnormally calm. "On the other hand, you're also the only one who can stop her. So don't destroy it, my dear. You'll regret it..."

"Mother," you muttered, your eyes turning melancholic for a second, "would you still love me if I destroyed the necklace? Would you?"

"Don't destroy it," she hissed. All warmth vanished from her eyes. She cupped your cheek roughly, at which your eyes widened in a split of seconds. "Or else, you're not my daughter anymore. I could never call someone my own daughter who destroyed the last thing I gave to her as a precious memory."

"Get away from me," you spoke firmly and pushed her away from you with trembling arms. She stumbled back, her head lowered for a second. Then, she started to laugh uncontrollably — much to your horror. Slowly, she raised her head. In a matter of moments, you couldn't understand how you could have seen even an ounce of your mother's kindness in her. Yes, she had the same blonde hair and (E/c) eyes as your late mother — yet, she lacked the warmth and liveliness that your real mother possessed. The real one would have never raised her voice at you; she loved you too much to pressure you into doing something you didn't want.