XXVIII

Evan (L/n), (Y/n) (L/n)'s long dead father.

Silently, Logan watched buildings and faceless people zoom by. The steady vibrating of the car's engine calmed his raging nerves. That was until the vehicle rolled to a stop, snapping the boy out of his thoughts. The car door was opened for him; fresh air whipped into his face.

"Logan, are you sure you're alright? You still seem a little bit pale," Evan mumbled with an empathetic smile on his lips. Logan nodded before he climbed out of the car carefully. His eyes darted around his environment; they took in every detail he could use later on. Luckily, Halo City hadn't changed much aside from a few things. The clothes he had gotten from Evan felt a little loose, but it was better than running around in his costume. "Please behave today, I'm not entirely sure if this is even—"

"Lieutenant (L/n)!" a female voice exclaimed as soon as the two males entered the peaceful police station. Logan scanned the area for the voice's source. He soon found a pretty woman heading towards them. She had blonde hair, while her eyes were a beautiful shade of—

"Oh hello, Chantal. I already told you that you can call me Evan." He chuckled softly. The police officer's eyes softened as soon as he realised who stood in front of him. Logan snickered to himself, realising that the man was madly in love with the blonde. "But is something wrong?"

"No, not at all." She giggled as she joined the two of them on their way to the office. Logan furrowed his eyebrows as soon as he noticed the resemblance Chantal shared with someone. Evan noticed his stare, but didn't comment on it. Once they arrived at their designated desks, he put a hand on Logan's shoulder. Only now did the female notice the boy. Instinctively, she shot him a charming smile.

"That's Lieutenant Chantal Johnson — my partner. Isn't she wonderful?" Evan laughed dreamily, causing a faint blush to erupt on Chantal's face. Not knowing how to respond to the two adults' dorky interaction, Logan nodded awkwardly. Nervously, he waved at the female.

"Oh~ you flatter me, Evan," she muttered under her breath, suppressing another giggle from escaping her throat. Soon though, she raised her hand and coughed into her fist in an attempt to snap Evan out of his dreamy trance. Quickly, the atmosphere became awkward and both adults scrambled to their seats. Logan rolled his eyes while he went off to grab himself a lone chair to sit down next to Evan's desk.

"You like her, don't you?" Logan chuckled, eyeing the lieutenant amusedly. Why was it that he felt more mature than those two combined? Evan immediately perked up from his seat, his cheeks dusted a soft red. "Why am I even asking?"

"S-She's so pretty," Evan whispered as his eyes darted over to the female sitting at the desk across from him. Logan laughed, punching his shoulder wordlessly. At this gesture, Evan sighed dreamily. "I don't think I could ever—"

"Evan, dear?" Chantal called out softly, her doe eyes turning over to her partner. Immediately, the male next to Logan perked up attentively. He nodded, hanging on her words as if they were a thin lifeline. Logan suppressed an annoyed groan. He eyed the two with a quirked eyebrow. "Do you have the files about the Cataclistum you've found in that one subway station?"

"...I do—" Evan muttered under his breath, his bright eyes dimming for a second.

"Great, can I see them?"

"They're classified, Chantal." Evan's eyes hardened, his common sense kicking in. Logan was relieved that (Y/n)'s dad wasn't a complete fool to be blinded by love. Ironically, would he be able to say those words about himself in the future? Chantal's expression changed as well — from adoring to disappointed. Evan rubbed his neck sheepishly. "Captain Abernathy told me not to—"