eight.✔

I waited till the last absolute moment for pull myself from the water that had run cold. Wraith's mother would expect my hair to be perfectly blown-out if I worn it down so I ran a brush through it a few times before twisting it into a topknot. It looks polished enough with little effort. I splash cold water on my face to lighten the flush the little alcohol gave my cheeks. I dress in a pair of white ankle pants and a matching top that hung off my shoulders. After applying enough makeup to his family standards, I put on a pair of white pumps and grabbed my purse just as Wraith's text came in.

WRAITH: Running a little late. Call an uber and meet me @ my parents?

I could drive myself but knowing my little Subaru is an eyesore and God forbid the wine hits me a little harder than it should, I order a car before texting him back.

SCARLETT: see u there

Five minutes later, I'm stepping into Dave's silver Prius.

Wraith's parents' mini-mansion is still quite extravagant for our little town. Inside a gated community that I have to give a password to enter; lays the brick home of the Lockett's. Perfectly trimmed shrubs and greenery frame the little path to the double door entry. Wraith's BMW is in the driveway behind his father's Mercedes, no surprise to find Wraith is still sitting in it. He'd want it to appear we arrived together. I thank the driver and throw my purse over my shoulder.

He must have heard my heels click against the pavement because he looked up from his phone and looked at me before getting out.

"I'm sorry I couldn't pick you up," he sighs, buttoning his tan sports jacket. He wore matching slacks and a dark blue dress shirt, his hair slicked back as always.

"It's fine," I brush it off as he wraps his arms around my waist.

"You look nice," he kisses my cheek. "Mother will be happy."

"I hope so," I stare into his dark eyes. "Wraith?" I murmur before he can pull away.

"Yes?"

"Before we go in," I press my palm to the back of his neck, leaning up just a little. "Can I get a kiss hello?" I glance at him sweetly.

Wraith smirks before gently pecking my lips. I feel him start to pull away when I force him to stay in place with my hand at his neck. I kiss him deeply, still itching from my memory. Wraith fumbles through it, eventually pulling away.

"What was that?" he gapes at me.

"It's just been a while," I shrug.

"Now is not the time, Scarlett," he mutters. "We need to go in. My family is waiting."

I let him take my hand and drag me along.

Recently it was never the time for more than a two second peck here and there. It had been nearly two months since the last time we had sex and the reaction to my kiss just now made me wonder if this is the new normal. Would we never be like we once were? For a time, Wraith couldn't keep his hands off me. A time that was too fleeting for my tastes.

The Lockett's home is more like a Pottery Barn showroom as Wraith takes my purse and shoves it on the entry table. He gifted me a designer Chanel bag for Christmas this year, but I can't bring myself to use it. More out of fear that I'd ruin it than anything else I suppose. Not to mention Caroline would tease me endlessly.

"Wraith?" the light voice of his mother calls from the parlor room.

We step down into the gold decorated room to find Wraith's mother leaning into the leather chair his father is sitting in. His grandparents are adjacent to them sitting on a matching leather loveseat.