epilogue.✔

SCARLETT

I run my fingers along the soft crepe fabric as Caroline pushes the final pin into my hair.

"I can't believe we're doing this again," she murmurs behind me as she wraps the jeweled veil around the sleek bun she had just tucked my hair into. "And that Tony still isn't here."

I smirk over my shoulder at her just there is a knock on the door.

"Come in," Caroline calls.

It softly opens to reveal someone I haven't seen in a long time.

"Oh gosh," she brings a white handkerchief to her light eyes.

"You're here?" I almost sob with happiness as I wrap my arms around her. "Cole wasn't sure you'd make it."

Mrs. Young embraces me. "The flights were iffy for a moment," she says. "But no way could I miss this."

Her light brown hair is tucked back and she is wearing a light pink sundress. Cole has her crystal blue eyes.

"Let me get a good look at you," she sniffles.

I step back. She looks over every bit of me, her watery eyes finding mine last. I can see the pain in her eyes, knowing she'll never get to do this with her own daughter, but a bittersweetness is also there.

"It's like she handpicked you," Mrs. Young sobs. "The perfect match for her brother."

"You think she would have approved?" I try my best to keep it together.

Mrs. Young smiles. "Sweetheart, if Alexandra were here today she'd probably the first to say, 'it's about time'."

"She's with him," I palm at her locket around my neck. "And she's with me, always."

She pats her eyes again. "Oh dear, if their father was here, he'd tell me to 'quit my crying'. He would be so proud of Cole."

I take her hand in mine and hold it affectionately to my chest just as another knock is at the door.

"Scar?" my own mother peeks her head in. "He's waiting on you."

I nod and then bring my gaze back to Mrs. Young. "Will you walk with my mom and I?" I ask.

"Are you sure?" she murmurs.

"You're my mom too," I tell her.

Mrs. Young touches my cheek with another sob. Caroline and her wait with my mom outside the door while I grab my bouquet taking one last look. My dress is simple and sleek, my shoulders are bare with dainty cap sleeves. A few stray pieces of blonde hair frame my face. This is who I am. Simple and soft. Scarlett. Soon to be Mrs. Colson Young.

I bite my teeth into my pink lip with a grin as I feel nothing but excitement with my bundle of magnolia's in my hands.

The sun is moments from setting as I step off the porch. The few guests are standing on either side of an invisible aisle with Caroline standing in front of a wood arbor Cole built. My acting bridesmaids, Livy and Soph stand in place across from him.

My arms link with our mother's as my eyes find his. Lit with the orange and pink sky behind him, he is wearing a black dress pants and a white button-up that he left a few buttons loose. His hands are crossed in front of him with a widening grin on his lips. The look in his eyes in the same look I've seen since I was a teenager.

Home.

I feel as if I am living in slow motion as I watch him hug his mother and kiss mine on the cheek before taking my hand.