twelve. ✔

The water scorched my skin as I hugged my knees to my chest. I cried my last tears till the water ran cold.

I wrap my hair in a towel after tying my robe and going to the kitchen. I pull the two spoons I'd stuck in the freezer and gently press them beneath my eyes in an effort to reduce the swelling. I can hear my phone going off in the bedroom. It had died overnight so all the drunken texts of Caroline as sill coming in.

Once my eyes feel frozen, I put the spoons in the sink and go to my bedroom. I sit on the edge of my bed as I reach for my phone. I bypass the drunken texts from Caroline and settle for the last one that come in a few minutes ago.

CAROLINE: How'd it go?

Awful Car, thanks for asking.

I go to the two I received from Wraith.

WARTH: I can't fucking wait to marry you.

The next is the last thing I wanted to see this morning. Even from your drunk fiancé, an unsolicited dick pic is still unsolicited. I groan as I delete the photo and toss with the thoughts that I need to tell Wraith about last night. I can't go into our marriage with secrets, I owe him that much. I don't know how to feel about the lack of guilt. I don't feel remorse for kissing Cole, I just feel... heartbroken.

I can't see myself ever wanting anyone else besides Cole. And if he doesn't want me, I should be with the man who does. The man I promised to marry. We can't have it all but I could have marriage and children. I could settle into Wraith's comfortable life now, knowing Cole was never going to love me like deep down I've always loved him.

I'd blow-dried my hair by the time my phone rang.

"Caroline," I murmur.

"What happened?" she demands. "Why keep me in suspense? Are we canceling the wedding?" My lack of a response causes her to whisper. "Scarlett?"

"I'm marrying Wraith," I breathe.

"Scar, what happened?"

"He doesn't want me like that, Car," I whisper. "You were right. Now I know and I can marry Wraith with no regrets."

"But–"

"No," I stop her. "I need you to let it go, Caroline."

She exhales deeply. "Is this what you truly want? Cole or no Cole, you don't have to get married tomorrow."

I shut my eyes to stop myself from crying. I'm done crying. "If Wraith still wants to get married, we'll get married."

"You're going to tell him?" she gasps.

"I'm not going into my marriage with secrets."

"Oh, Scarlett," she cries.

"I'll see you at the rehearsal," I say and end the call.

My stomach curdles at the thought of food when I realize its nearly noon. I attempted a few hours of sleep after Cole drove me home in an unsettling silence. I make another cup of coffee in an attempt to settle my stomach a little, though caffeine probably isn't the best measure, I needed the little boost of energy. I finish curling my hair and applying enough makeup to hide my lack of sleep when my phone rings once more.

The number is unknown and I nearly ignore it before thinking it might be Wraith's mother. They change their numbers all the time like they are some type of celebrity.

"Hello?"

"Scarlett?"

"Dylan?" I guess. Dylan is one of Wraith's friends. We've had dinner and drinks a few times when he's in town. Dylan travels more often than not as a sales consultant.