nine.✔

My toes graze on top of the trimmed green grass as I carefully weave in and out of the crowd. There is quite the turn out though I suspect the mob of mothers and older sisters in front of me is surrounding the dunk tank. I pass a few food stands that all seem much more appealing that whatever it was I ate for dinner. I also briefly stop outside one of those House of Horrors, the ones with the freaky mirrors and scream rooms. I make a mental note to circle back around for that one as I continue to point myself in the direction of the mob.

I receive a few stares as I am clearly overdressed for the occasion. Not to mention, I am walking around barefoot with my white pumps dangling off my fingertips.

I stop just short of the tank, behind the housewives and teenagers. I watch as a softball is thrown at the lever but no dice. My eyes drift to the dunk tank as Baker, one of the younger construction guys that works for Cole, steps down. That must have been the last throw before a switch. Baker had been shirtless and wearing swim trunks while his replacement is a bit cockier. Still in his jeans and a white tee, Cole replaces Baker, certain no one will dunk him. His bare feet hang over the little seat as he crosses his arms.

"Who is that?" I hear one housewife whisper to another.

"Something tells me he's the boss," the other winks.

I watch with a slight smirk as another patron attempts three throws with no luck. Cole continues to grin as the next three attempts begin. I wonder around to the ticket booth and find my niece flirting with Baker and two of the other construction guys. All of which are barely twenty and completely harmless.

"Not a single one of you have managed to get dunked?" I raise my brow.

Soph looks over her shoulder at me. Her dark hair hanging down her back, she's wearing a purple tee and a pair of jean shorts with lace edges. "Auntie," she grins, jumping down from the table.

"Hey, Scarlett," Baker grins.

Soph wraps her arms around my waist. "Momma wasn't sure you'd make it."

I run my fingers through her hair. "I'll always make it," I promise.

"We've made so much money," Soph sings.

"Have you?" I smile.

"About six hundred," Max, one of the other guys confirms.

Soph lets go of me and runs back to the other side of the table, stepping on the edge of Baker's chair to hop back on the table.

"What do you say, Scarlett?" Max smirks at me. "Want to take a shot at Cole?"

I toss my pumps on the side of the table and dig a twenty from my purse. "For the school, right?" I playfully shrug and I reach up and pull my hair from it's tight bun.

Soph happily rips the bill from my hand and takes my purse as I shake out my hair. "I'll hold this," she smiles.

"You're up," Baker nods, noticing the last customer failed as Toby, collects the three softballs.

I wink at Soph and walk over to the throw line.

Cole is looking out at the crowd as Toby hands me the balls.

"Good luck," he chuckles.

I need this, I decide. I need a little fun.

"Hey Young!" I yell and his eyes snap in my direction.

He keeps his arms crossed as a sneer forms on his lips. "Give it your best shot, Trouble," he entices me.

I bite down on my bottom lip as I turn my focus to the small lever I need to hit. I'm no pitcher but with enough force maybe I'd get lucky. Cole did teach Alex and I how to throw a football once upon a time ago. How different could it be?