At Odds.

"Me?" I snap in disbelief. "Explain." She turns on her heel without a single word. I watch her natural sway as she strides away from me. I sigh. My veins bubbled beneath my skin at her proximity, and as she leaves the feeling of distress creeps back in. What is wrong with me? Her disappointment, her distance, it bothers me on a subconscious level that even I don't comprehend.

          "Sera, why?" I try again. She gives in and rewards me with a response.

          "Because you are a giant lie. You are a black hole in my already imploding universe. I was doing the best I could with the life I was dealt, it was rough but I managed. Then you came along, and showered me with phony affection and like a fool I would grovel for it. Then I find out it was all fabricated, just so you could use me. The only 'love' I had ever felt, and it was all a joke. One day, you will feel just as small and humiliated as I have. Someone will come along and humble you too. They'll grab you by that massive ego, and they'll squeeze the arrogance right out of you."

         "So you'll stay, just one night here? I promised Axar I would find someone to help him understand and perfect his abilities." She walks off once more.

          "For him, not you. I intend to go get my own things from home to wear and eat. I will stay in the guest room. Stay away from me."

          "As you wish. I will go retrieve your things for you..."

          "No. I'll get them myself. I won't eat a thing you touch. As for clothing, you have touched any of my clothes or garments for the last time."

           "You can come with me, or I can ask Narius."

            "I am not leaving Axar by himself here, and I don't want Narcissist anywhere near my home ever again." A fitting nickname for him actually. I smile in spite of the situation. 

            "Axar tells me you called me 'Noxema'." I try to lighten her mood. I follow her and try to put my arm over her, she quickly evades.

           "I called you much, much worse things than that. Though that was my favorite." She nearly runs to the kitchen  to check on Axar, who's at the bar with several sandwiches and a little bag of snacks. Potato chips. I can feel the change in her upon seeing him. He beams at her and I stay back from them, giving them a false sense of privacy.

          "Did he really promise you that he would find someone who would help you?" She whispers to the boy who nods.

        "Yeah. He said he would help you too, with your abilities so you can be safe. Do you know how old he is? He was alive when the titanic sank. Isn't that incredible?" Axar whispers with a soft smile. I peer into Sera's mind and instantly regret it. It would be incredible, if only he were on board. I struggle to keep my face straight and neutral.

        "It is. Are you comfortable with him near? If anybody here makes you uncomfortable, you come to me. If anything were to happen I would want you to run and escape, do not wait for me in emerg-"

         "We will be fine. I've got you with me. Don't worry so much, you look so tired and stressed. I don't want you to feel bad." She sighs and plays with his curls as he eats his potato chips. "I just think if I could learn this stuff, maybe I could help people. Or at least keep those around me safe, like warm them. I don't know. I just need to know how this works." I can sense his shift in mood, and all it takes is the slightest bit of gloom and Sera has already folded.

        "We will stay, tonight. Tonight only. After that they can come to us. I've got to go home to get food and pajamas for us, do you need anything. Would you go with us?"