Black Magic Woman.

*back to Sera*

            I had pulled up every article I could find on Barima's phone. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I gather the things I need to try to contact her. I need to tell her sorry, and set things right so I can sleep again. I've been studious as a college girl, desperately cramming information in before a final exam. Martha Stewart would be proud of the things I've whipped together using the potion books. I know I'm royally fucking up somehow, but I feel more in control learning these things and at least trying to implement them.

       I grab the salts, ouija board, crystals, my protection necklace and a partridge in a pear tree as I prep the livingroom floor. I scoot furniture to the walls and lay everything out on the rug in center. I've heard this typically takes two people for better success, but I am only one. So here we are. I light the candles and incense. Sprinkling a mix of ground plants that Barima had labeled for this specific purpose into a bowl with the incense.

       I sit down on the rug, board in my lap and I focus on Barima. Her striking white hair and olive skin. Her brooding brown eyes and little nose. The little beauty mark under her eye. "Barima." I breathe out as I grab the planchette and begin. I explore the board with the curious little thing, just swiling it around in patterns and swirls. I do this for a little while, in a focused silence.

         "Barima." I speak softly, careful not to sound anxious or rude. I want her to have the illusion of the upper hand so she might cone to me and speak. The planchette moves erratically around the board. "Thank you Barima." I announce gratefully as I await more movement. "Will you speak to me? I owe you an apology, I would like to set us right. I...I'm so sorry for what happened to you. I couldn't stop myself. I have no control of whatever I am. Whether you speak to me, or not, I just need you to know that I am sorry."

        My hands are moved about. Yes. She responds. "Thank you, Barima. I'm so sorry. I want to fix this. Is there anything I can do to help you now? I know you were quite knowledgeable on these things, I am totally out of my element here." She responds after a moment. It is forgiven, dear. I was going to kill you and the boy, after all. I'd have done the same. It is my karma. I can be brought back, if you wish. But I need my body.

        "Do you know where your body is? Nox took it from me and wouldn't let me help." I drop my head in guilt. Chin up. There you go. My body is in the marsh. You have the ability within you to reanimate me, as well as absorb me. If you are succubi. Let yourself be. Can you get to your true form?

       "Im not sure how. I had no knowledge of what I was or how to control it. Nox has taught me nothing, only used me." Of course, he uses us all. Ever a selfish slut. I grin at her words.

       "Truer words were never spoken. I don't know how he used you, or what he done to you yesterday, but I'm sorry that he hurt you too." You aren't like most of your kind. Refreshing really, but worrisome. I do not know how this will work with a half breed. Concentrate, Sera. Do you feed?

       "Yes, but subconsciously. It happens without my knowledge." The warm feeling in your body when you've fed, the anger you had yesterday morning. Focus on extremes, and keep your hands on the board. I focus on yesterday morning, the feeling of losing control and the heat of Barima's life blood and energies flooding into my body. Perfect. Now let go of yourself. Your demon knows what to do. I watch from above myself, like an astral projection. A long tongue snakes out as I lean across the board in my lap, hands still in place. My eyes are dark as coals as a little light travels up from the board into my mouth, scurrying along my tongue. Swallow. I take her soul into my body. It feels like heartburn as she settles into my chest.

         "Are...are you alright?" The air is thick as I get used to the heavy feeling of her soul within me. Within a few moments all discomfort eases. My hands snap around the board. Yes dear. I am fine. Are you ready to find my body?

         "Let's go." I am up on my feet and pulling on my boots as I exit the back and into the dark woods, following Barima's directions to the marsh. A nagging voice in my head warns me to go back to close the board, but I'm too far out. I'll close it when we are home. We. Barima and I. It's still so strange to know I have absorbed her and she resides within my body now. It's a relief, in an odd way to know if all else fails she has life within me.

       There. I look up to see the marsh in the dim moonlight above. I steady my breathe and prepare for the cold, murky water. I can't swim very well, and I have no idea how deep she is. I'll guide you. I hum in response as I pull my boots off and walk into the frothy green waters. Soon I am up to my chest and I lean forward and begin to paddle out several more feet. How far did Nox throw her? I feel terrible at the thought. Stop Sera. You must go under now. We are right above my body.

       I submerge beneath the surface, panicking in my mind as I allow myself to sink with my breath held. It takes only seconds and somehow my eyes adjust. I see perfectly. Minnows, crawfish and a couple small cats swim and scurry away from Barima's body that lies on the bottom, tangled in twigs and slimy grass. It twists my heart to see her in such a state. I scoop her up, careful with her slick and delicate skin and I flounder around to reach the surface.

       "Ah! Air. Sweet clean air." I praise as I greedily fill my lungs with a gross wheeze. Barima chuckles. I held my breath too, then I realized I can no lo ger breathe. We snort as I paddle towards the bank with her body in my arms. Once on the bank I drag her body up with mine, resetting her jaw before pulling her up onto my shoulders as we trek back. Thank you, Sera. I smile as we enter the back door and into the house.

        Inside I walk her body into the bathroom and set her on the tiled floor.  I shred what's left of her destroyed clothing and get the warm water running. It's hard to get grip on her clammy skin but I finally manage to get her into the tub and work on scrubbing her down and washing her hair with the shower head. Inlesve the drain open for all the dirty water to run out. I pull her from the tub onto a towel, crouching in the floor to dry her and to blow dry her silly white hair. I plait it neatly and tie it. I place her in clean clothes and on her side in the bed.

         We head back into the livingroom to finish our task, but we stop short of the doorway. A giant naked man resides on the couch. Blood red eyes and and long hair most iridescent and white gold. His body is broad and light as snow. I bolt past the livingroom and into the spare room with the blessed salts.