Wanheda pt 1

Roan

Roan pulled the reins of his horse at the border of a nearby village at dusk and he could see Adheda's horse from the corner of his eye.

"We rest and continue by dawn," he told her, sliding off the saddle. "Ban op gapa" (take the horse), he said to the villager. "Ban op Polis" (back to Polis) she said, passing her horse.

"Adheda," the villager said with grace. He whispered to his friend and they shouted her name. Children and other people rushed towards her and took her hand. "Ask questions," she smiled as they dragged her away.

"Ste lufa Wanheda au" (looking for Wanheda) he said, showing a sketch of her under the torch that illuminated the shed. The villager looked at him then at the paper and glanced at Adheda. "Nou," he shook his head and politely walked away to meet the Wise Commander.

Nightbloods of high hierarchy. Praised by the people, betting on which one would win the conclave and become heda. Pardoned of any crimes by the Commander. They were treated better than a member of the monarchy like him. But as long as they didn't know his clan, he was fine.

His head perked up when she approached him with uneven breathing. "They're offering us a room," she said. The same villager who denied him of Wanheda's whereabouts led them to his home and showed them a room with one large bed.

His daughter entered with a tray, setting it on the bedside table, and smiled at Adheda before leaving. When he passed her a bowl of soup she took a sip of it and he noticed her smile fade.

"What's wrong now?" he exhaled. "I've been privileged since I was born," she said. "My father is... up on the list and I got everything." "And you think the village is the less fortunate," he figured and she nodded. "Up in the sky too," she added.

"What about your mother, is she great?" he asked. "I don't know," she made a small frown as she sat on the floor, pulling her knees to her chest. "Never knew her. What about you?" "My mother is... up on the list," he answered with her words. "And my father was barely around, he was always busy. My grandfather was there... up on the list too." "Same, my grandmother practically raised me," she said with a faint chuckle that rang in his ears.

He finally drank the soup that was provided and chugged the water, knowing they'd have an extra day of food.

"Hey bounty hunter," she called out. "If you're mother and grandfather were up there, does that mean you're there too?" "Yeah," he dryly nodded. "What are you, Prince of Azgeda or something," she joked, leaning her head back and he had to agree.

The humor quickly stopped and he caught her calm eyes. "Are you mad at them for banishing you?" she asked. "Azgeda didn't banish me to join the coalition, Lexa chose me to be released," he explained. Her head tilted to ask another question and he answered with, "She believed I was the one who killed her lover."

"Costia," she said. "Did you?" He looked at her and her eyes read his face, knowing he couldn't lie. "No," he said. "We weren't friends but... I couldn't do that, even if it was to help my people." There was silence in the room and he glanced at his empty bowl that glowed from the candle.

"I'll sleep on the ground," he said, blowing out the candle. He spread his coat down and laid on top. She stood up and went over to the bed to lay down and he could see her face peering from the edge. "You are no longer a caveman, you don't need to sleep on the ground," she told him.

He lifted himself and went over to the wall side of the bed and laid down, with space in between them. He was in her back and he could see her roll to hers to stare at the moon that smiled on the bare ceiling.

"Do you have a lover or anyone of interest?" she asked and he knew she was smiling. "Many women but never one," he answered truthfully. "You'll never be satisfied," she said. "Words from Adheda," he mumbled. "And you?"