A gift

I looked at the small bundle and saw a card underneath.

"Tendou, did you give me this?"

He slid out the bathroom in his socks,
"Have I ever given you a present?"
That was true, he wasn't one for gifts as he spent his money mere minutes after receiving the paycheck. 

The guess monster gasped.
"You think it was Bokuto? Ooo cmon open it, lemme see!"

I took to removing the quite poorly wrapped present before the card. There was probably more tape than paper as a whole. It looked as though he gave up midway on making the folds look nice.

"What is it?"

"I think it's an owl?" I turned the soft spherical lump around in my palms. 

"Lemme see!"
I tossed what I assumed was a small plush to Tendou who had now sat on the bottom bunk.

"Oh yeah, look at that! It is an owl! Kinda looks like Bokuto."
He tossed it from one hand to the other as well.

It did look like him a bit. It was grey and white with gold beady eyes. It had small felt feet to sit on and a matching felted beak.

I opened the card and read it silently.

"Merry Christmas Agaashi! I saw this a couple days ago in a shop and it reminded me of myself. Then I thought of you and how much I annoy you so anytime you feel like killing me, you can just throw this across the room, or let the guess monster set fire to it. Anyway, see you at the party!"
~ Bokuto xx

His handwriting was almost illegible but made a smile creep onto my face just slightly, realizing he thinks about me.
I caught myself.
Feelings like that? Disgraceful, atrocious, won't let it happen again. Don't have time for that. I'm here for work and that's it.

"Tendou."
I passed the card to him,
"What does he mean 'he thought of me'?"

He stroked him chin in thought before snapping:
"Maybe he's in love with you!!" He moved his singed brows up and down, smiling quite maliciously.

"Oh fuck off."
Though I continued to think about that the rest of the day. Other thoughts drifted through my mind as well.

I ended up placing the small fluffy owl on the shelf by the desk and bed so I could see it when working or attempting origami yet again.

~~~~~

The following day was that of the party. I was already nervous and dreading it by breakfast that morning.

That evening, I picked out one of the few formal wear outfits they gave us and spent longer than I'd care to admit on the bow tie. Finally dressed, I wandered the halls to the ballroom.

I took a deep breath and entered.
I didn't even know, or I guess realize, that there were that many people who lived on the base. All in whom wore similar outfits and attire. I scanned the room in hopes of finding the owl or Tendou.

"AGAASHI!!" The owl screamed from inside the crowd. He must have spotted me idling in the entryway. I saw his arm raise above some of the people as he jumped, pushing his way towards me. "AGAAAASHIIII!!"

I braced for impact when he came barreling towards me.
"HEY HEY HEY!" He beamed from ear to ear. The smile I didn't know whether to hate or not.

"Hello.. uh happy holidays?" I tried to make small talk, one of the things I hated most in the world. The owl took a step back.

"Whoa whoa, why are you being nice?"

"Who says I can't be nice?"

"No one, but I doubted it would ever be the case with me." He laughed.

"Well... I got the gift you gave me.. thank you." I twisted my fingers together behind my back.
"Oya! Did you like it?!"

"Yes."

He swung an arm around my shoulder and gestured to the floor, "Wanna dance?"
"No."
I tried to get away, but though I hate to admit it, the owl was much stronger than me. His grip was firm but comforting in a way. Why was that?

They were still playing Christmas songs as it was mainly a Christmas party with many couples, a vast display of strawberry shortcake, large brightly decorated trees in the far corners, and drinks of all sorts.

The owl took my hands.

"Wha- what are you doing?" I stammered, scared of anyone seeing us.
As he pulled me into the center towards the dancing couples, my eyes caught Tendou filming. Fuck.

The owl leaned in close to my neck and uttered a simple sentence into my ear: "lets dance like that butterfly on the Hill."

A/N: sorry it's so short eeee but I promise the next one will be a bit longer lol ʕ•̫͡ʕ•̫͡ʔ <3