Chapter One

The door opened.

She didn't expect it to. Holding her breath, she hoped no one would be in there. She knew the moment her foot passed the servants quarters into the King's personal quarters she would be in deep trouble. The library was large with an aisle separating it. One half facing the courtyard, the other side had a large fireplace, with gold ornate detailing.

Scrambling with light feet, whilst not talking a single breath in fear of being found out, she neared the grand library. Standing in awe at the grandeur, her eyes grew wide. She bounced with giddy excitement. Her mom always said that she was too young to bother around the kitchen to help the servants cook, so she would let her play if there was nothing to do. Wandering the halls she stumbled upon the library when the door stood slightly ajar.

So Bethany decided today was the day, she would go to the library. She overheard the butlers talking of the King and his family leaving for a short vacation to somewhere sunny. While the rain set the King in a bad mood. So he often left. There wouldn't be anyone there.

I won't be bothering anyone. She reasoned.

Her head swiveled back and forth. Mouth dropped open, eyes wide with excitement.

The candles cast a soft glow against the gloomy rain pouring outside, just beyond the palace windows. The library was set at the west end of the palace with the best views of the courtyard lined with spectacular trimmed rose bushes. Beyond the palace courtyard, far beyond lay the greenest hillside, with lush trees and bushes. In the library, near the windows, were grandest armchairs that would almost but engulf you as one sat and read. It was beautiful, it was safe. It felt safe.

The books called to her, if only she knew how to read. Oh she heard the stories being told. The lucky servants, rare few, were taught how to read. The rest were at the mercy of those who knew, to be entertained by stories only dreamed of.

Nearing one of the leather bound books, she beamed with joy. The leather had stripes of gold and careful initials engraved. Carefully she pulled one out. She never saw a book up close. The servants daughters would be jealous if they found out she touched the king's personal books.

She would never tell. That would mean a horrible penalty for her mother who was slaving away in the kitchen. Guilt filled her stomach. She shouldn't be here. Her mother didn't deserve to be kicked out just because of her incandescent desire to read a book.

Before she could scramble back to the servants quarters the most terrifying feeling came over her when she heard the heavy doors of the palace doors opening. She froze and felt tears coming, along with a long list of apologies. Her heart thumped in her chest, wild and out of rhythm. Nobody was supposed to be home. Only the servants, butlers were with the king and his family. So who could it be?

Her mother always said she was getting into trouble. There wasn't anyone to keep her in check. Maybe it was true. This time, there wouldn't be a firm warning and long hours on her knees scrubbing the kitchen floors until she passed out. It would be out on the streets. Forever banished. Forced to fend for themselves. Because her mother was a castaway woman after she slept with one of the prominent men of society she was cast out and banished. Punishment for what she did, breaking apart a marriage in the process.

She was barely accepted into the palace for work. She only got this job because of one of the butlers. He vouched for her. He was a kind old man, but had a firm side, who knew his way around the palace. And how to get people hired, and fired.

"Who are you?" A young boy around her age of nine, peaked around the corner of the bookshelf. Her knees trembled, and teeth chattered, so much so she barely could answer.