Chapter Nine

It was the eve of her birthday. She was turning eighteen. Bethany rose from her sleeping mat and came to the window of their sleeping quarters. She watched the stars for a little bit. It was a dreamy night, skies were clear and stars were out. They shined bright, making it difficult to walk away from the open window. So she stayed there for a while.

"Darling, may you please close the window? I'm sure the sky is just as beautiful tonight as it was yesterday." She said with a weary voice. Mother complained about the cold seeping in.

Mother hasn't recovered from her illness last month. She fell really ill, so much so she couldn't get out of bed. Bethany took her place in the kitchen for a week.

Though she was still weak from the sickness, they continued to work her almost to death. Bethany voiced her complaints many times. But no one listened, and no one cared.

Sighing, she shut the window.

Mother could read her emotions all the way from her place on the sleeping mattress, for she said, "If you are fretting once more about my health, you shan't. I'm fine." Mother didn't turn around though, for Bethany would see that she spoke a lie. Mother tried her best hiding how she was feeling. She wasn't fine.

Every morning at dawn, she rises from the bed before anyone else gets up. What mother doesn't know is Bethany was awake once, she heard the coughing fits as she stood from her bed. She heard each sigh. The effort it took to get dressed.

"Mother you need to see a doctor. I can ask Prince Ronald to recommend you to one." Though they saw each other less and less, they were still friends.

"Sssh," She chastised. Mother was the only one who knew, even after all these years. "Don't be so foolish as to speak of such things. You know it is inappropriate for a servant girl to be bosom friends with a royal." She warned.

"Sorry mother. But seriously? You need a doctor!" She whined.

"I have spoken my piece, I will not be seeing any doctor. And that's final." Her mother's voice held no room for debate. Bethany didn't want to. After all, her mother was exhausted as it were. But that didn't lessen her worry. What if mother got worse and never recovered?

Brushing her dark auburn hair, she prepared herself for bed. Taking a long strip of cloth, she tied it around her hair. Making a ponytail. To keep it from going all over the place.

When she grew up, her hair darkened, also became less curly. Bethany was sad that it wasn't as wild, but it was easier to tame.

She looked out the window again. The clear skies. Tonight would be a cold night. Possibly even snow. It was winter already and their rooms were getting colder by the day. So she stayed in a few more layers of clothing than usual to keep warm. She and her sister both gave their extra blankets to mother since she had fallen sick.

Bethany didn't mind freezing, if it meant her mother was warm. Bethany looked around. Her sister was not yet in bed.

"Mother, where is Melissa?" She asked. She hasn't seen her since breakfast. They worked in separate ends of the palace, making it utterly impossible to see one another until they were finished with their work day.

But the day's work was done, and she was still gone.

"She's with Sir Sylvester." Mother said in a matter of fact way. That was the Knight that Melissa was engaged to. Mother knew of Bethany's dilemma with her sister marrying off to some stranger man. All for the sole reason that she would be financially secure. It was why she answered like so.

Ugh, that guy is old! Bethany thought. She didn't like him. Okay he wasn't that old but he was in his forties. Melissa was to turn thirty, but still, Bethany reasoned. Trying hard to find any reason why she could hate him.