Chapter Twenty-Five

"King Aldway the Second, it is an honor to have you here in attendance." Ronald gave a strong sure hand shake to the older man, a greatly admired king of the south. Ronald made special care to thank him personally. "I was told your travels have been long and difficult, you must extend your stay. Enjoy our wonderful land, see great landmarks of ours. And I would like to personally welcome you to stay here at our castle, if you will."

Ronald sent out his peace offering, hoping he would take it.

The older king's brows furrowed in consideration, he looked to his wife, who seemed to agree with Ronald. "We will think about it. It is generous of you to offer, I myself have not been up here, during the reign of your father. I am rather intrigued." He gave a respectful nod and reached out his hand. Ronald refrained from making an expression at the mention of his father. "May you and I form an alliance." Ronald's shoulders eased at those words.

Smiling, Ronald replied, "I sure hope we do. It would be an honor to form an alliance with you. Shall we gather sometime and speak on some changes that would benefit us both?" Ronald enticed the king with an offer.

Ronald grew up thinking his father was foolish for making enemies with King Aldway. He had studied their land, rich in salt and minerals, and many more things. There were also great routes for trading that had been cut off, because of his father. That would soon change.

Ronald was surprised he even showed.

"I would like to. I will be in contact with you on that." Once the King became preoccupied with the sampling of their famous delicacies, Ronald was waved down by the castle steward who said he had an urgent need to discuss with him.

"I am to what?" The moment the steward gave full detail of what is to be expected today during the banquet, Ronald's eyebrows rose a notch. Along with his frustration.

Ronald made his way through the crowd. Having received news that he would be making a formal announcement today, he knew exactly who put this into motion.

He saw his mother, who stood off to the corner of the banquet hall, and made his way to her. Gathered with a few noblemen, she looked rather joyous. The banquet was filled with chatter and boisterous laughter.

Unfortunately he had to bring the lively conversation to an end. "What did you do?" He said when he approached her, not bothering to apologize to the men. The men, noting the tension, dispersed.

She turned with an air of innocence. "What? I didn't do a thing."

That was a lie. No one else would think to cross their King. Since she was his mother, she felt no trouble doing such things. "Then who set up a Royal announcement in which I was to announce my bride? Today?"

His mother gave a small shrug. "What are you so upset about? I simply did a little nudging where you needed. I'm your mother. I know you well, my son. You are afraid to make the announcement. Putting it off for later won't make it any easier. You're going to have to stand up for your bride. Besides, no one has a right to condemn you, who you take to be your bride."

The reason he put it off was not a matter of being afraid of what his people will think of her, but rather to give Bethany time to adjust, to prepare.

It was not too long before he was crowned that he proposed to her. It would not be an easy transition. Coming into such a social standing when she was hidden all her life behind servants quarters.

She was not prepared for this life. It was not something anyone could instantly get accustomed to.

He was grateful she thought well of his bride, a good sign. But one thing was not right. "I did not warn Bethany, I did not give her a proper chance to prepare for such an occasion." Nor was he.