Chapter Thirty

It was rather quiet in the castle when Bethany and her mother arrived home. A guard opened up the castle's main doors when they walked up, but inside it was silent. Neither servant nor guest. No one milled about.

Maybe they were gathered for some festivities? Bethany wondered.

"I wonder what we're missing. Is there a holiday?" Mother asked the very thing on Bethany's mind.

"I don't recall there being one, no.You think Ronald left on a trip?" Bethany asked, her heart sinking at that thought. She really wanted to see him.

"I suppose it's possible." They both knew how empty and quiet it got in the absence of the king and queen. Even with the constable in charge.

"I sorely miss him. I wanted to see him." She said, feeling a little crushed as they walked towards the servants quarters. They still haven't seen anyone. Not even Mary.

Bethany carried mother's and her own pouch, filled with their belongings. Mother was worn out, and Bethany could tell that her body was fighting off a cold.

Bethany urged her the whole trip home to stay inside the carriage and not get out unless it was to sleep in the tent. Since it was snowing heavily on their way home and it was too cold for mother to bear. Bethany caught a glimpse of mother as they walked, the cloak was soaked through. Bethany picked up her pace.

They reached the room that they once shared, all three of them. In the confines of the room, mother sighed and sat down on the chair next to her bed. She took off her soaked wool cloak and Bethany walked over to grab it, making sure mother didn't have to get up.

Hanging up the cloak to dry, she told mother, "Why don't you lie down and rest, I will get you a warm soup, and see if I can get a doctor to see you."

At this, her mother's fiery temper came back, temporarily forgetting her weakness. "You will do no such thing. I am quite alright."

Bethany saw no use in fighting her, and so she pulled up a chair to mother and sat down by her. Mother's eyes watched Bethany for any sign of retort.

"Mother while I was at fathers, I got to thinking." Unfasteningbher cloak, she let her own fall onto the chairs back, not bothering to hang it up. For it had to be said soon rather than later. "You are not in the best condition to be able to handle the stress of cooking for this castle. I will speak to Ronald, I'm sure he's more than happy to oblige me in getting you a new position amongst the staff. You need-"

"I will not be leaving the kitchen."

"Instead," she continued despite her mother's refusal. "I will get something else for you to do. I had come to learn you were once a very talented seamstress. You can perhaps take over and sow instead?" She held her breath as her mother considered her words. She sent a prayer heavenward that she would accept. She couldn't make it another year in that kitchen, all but working herself to death.

"Why would I give up cooking?" She countered Bethany.

"Because it is too much for you. Ever since you fell ill-"

"I am not helpless Bethany." There was a clip in her tone. And she was clearly displeased with how Bethany was speaking about her.

Bethany gave a frustrated sigh. "You and your stubborn pride."

A sparkle in her eye, mother smiled at her. She leaned forward and swept a run away curl. "I see the same in you my darling."

"Mother please." She pleaded with her.

"I might consider it, but it's not a promise." She jutted out her chin.

Laughing, Bethany agreed. "That's good enough for me." She crossed her arms, satisfied that mother had even considered. She knows she will come around, it's only a matter of time.